Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail crashing repeatedly NSException "NSInternalInconsistencyException"

I woke up this morning and notice mail had closed. Upon reopening, mail crashed in under a minute, repeatedly. Each time producing the attached error log (preview is shown below - full report attached in text file)

2019 MacBook Air - Running Monterey 12.1

Any ideas on how to fix this error would be appreciated, thanks

Process: Mail [24928]

Path: /System/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail

Identifier: com.apple.mail

Version: 15.0 (3693.40.0.1.81)

Build Info: Mail_App-3693040000001081~54

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [1]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2022-01-25 10:34:31.4860 -0800

OS Version: macOS 12.1 (21C52)

Report Version: 12

Bridge OS Version: 6.1 (19P647)

Anonymous UUID: D5476770-FBE2-6FAA-1482-A20445A0D976

Sleep/Wake UUID: BBFFCEE5-0503-42EF-8FED-4EC4ADD5691A

Time Awake Since Boot: 31000 seconds

Time Since Wake: 852 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 26 Dispatch queue: MCTaskHandler queue (QOS: BACKGROUND)

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: '*** -[__NSCFString dataUsingEncoding:allowLossyConversion:]: didn't convert all characters'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 8:35 PM

I contacted Apple support via chat and phone - followed several steps including re-installing OS via recovery mode. Nothing worked. I proceeded to delete all downloaded attachments in the mail downloads folder, that did not work either. Finally I was able to resolve it by doing the following:

Step 1: open internet accounts and disable mail for each internet account

Step 2: enable mail for each account, one by one until I isolated the mail account that was causing the crash

Step 3: delete the internet account that was causing the crash

Step 4: go to library folder, find the mail folder, delete a folder called v9 (number might be different for different computers)

Step 5: go to internet accounts and add a new account, in my case it was a gmail account, and set it up as new.

Step 6: allow mail to download all messages and do its thing

Mail has been running for the past hour without crashing, hope this helps anyone who has repeated mac mail crashes or a corrupt mailbox.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 8:35 PM in response to rez2380

I contacted Apple support via chat and phone - followed several steps including re-installing OS via recovery mode. Nothing worked. I proceeded to delete all downloaded attachments in the mail downloads folder, that did not work either. Finally I was able to resolve it by doing the following:

Step 1: open internet accounts and disable mail for each internet account

Step 2: enable mail for each account, one by one until I isolated the mail account that was causing the crash

Step 3: delete the internet account that was causing the crash

Step 4: go to library folder, find the mail folder, delete a folder called v9 (number might be different for different computers)

Step 5: go to internet accounts and add a new account, in my case it was a gmail account, and set it up as new.

Step 6: allow mail to download all messages and do its thing

Mail has been running for the past hour without crashing, hope this helps anyone who has repeated mac mail crashes or a corrupt mailbox.

Jan 26, 2022 1:39 PM in response to rez2380

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities, rez2380,

If we understand, you received an error message after the Mail app on your Mac unexpectedly quit. We're happy to help!

Based on what you've described, we would recommend going through the steps outlined in the Apple Support article If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support.

Should you still need help after that, please get in touch with Apple Support directly. You can do that here: Get Support.

Have a wonderful day!

May 10, 2022 9:15 PM in response to rez2380

I'm having this same problem and it's so frustrating. The exact same error and log. I've contacted customer support multiple times, and I've even went to the Apple store and let one of their "geniuses" check out the computer. I've been everything mentioned above. It's been narrowed down to my business email account - which is the most important account that I have! I'm forced to view my emails on my iPhone - which works fine. Just, one day a couple weeks ago my Mac computer's mail app decided it would crash every time I open it. I hope you find an answer. It's a nightmare responding to all of my business emails via my phone when I have this huge Mac computer in my office.

May 10, 2022 10:19 PM in response to rez2380

Hey there! Glad you were able to sort it out! At least for a while. Anyhow not everyone can just delete the V9 folder, as it may contain important mailboxes that are not stored on a server and aren’t saved. It’s best to open ~/Mail/V9/MailData, and just delete the EnvelopeIndex files and relaunch mail, but still recommend having a backup first.

As this failed eventually in your case, is Gmail the only email account you use in the Mail app?

Mail crashing repeatedly NSException "NSInternalInconsistencyException"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.