Mail Crashing within Seconds of Opening

Recently getting warnings that system is low on memory with display showing Mail memory growing to over 300 GB - could force quit and restart. Starting today Mail is crashing (and was almost certainly cause of full computer crash as well). First part of crash report is below - it is not allowing me to upload the whole thing. Any help appreciated! MacBook Pro 16 inch 2021 with M1 Pro chip and 32 GB running Ventura 13.4.1

Process: Mail [3224]

Path: /System/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail

Identifier: com.apple.mail

Version: 16.0 (3731.600.7)

Build Info: Mail_App-3731600007000000~4

Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [1]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2023-07-25 14:15:01.1692 -0400

OS Version: macOS 13.4.1 (22F82)

Report Version: 12

Anonymous UUID: 339C3F32-ABEB-7CB3-5325-EDD6E4D13FA0

Time Awake Since Boot: 3700 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 13 Dispatch queue: IMAPNetworkTaskHandler queue (QOS: BACKGROUND)

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

abort() called

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 11:37 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2023 11:37 AM in response to Robert Stone

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jul 25, 2023 1:57 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks and great to hear from you and glad you are still doing this! I was more active years ago on mainly iPhoto and iMovie boards. Anyway, I tried the safe boot mode and the issue still is happening. The mailboxes include an Exchange mailbox from work and I wonder if that is where the issue is. Is there any part / fragment of the crash report that would be helpful?

Jul 25, 2023 2:53 PM in response to Robert Stone

Robert Stone wrote:

#1 - The mailboxes include an Exchange mailbox from work and I wonder if that is where the issue is. #2 - Is there any part / fragment of the crash report that would be helpful?

#1 - that could be part of the problem. Others have reported problems with the MS email account.

#2 - crash reports are pretty much fro the Apple engineers. They are way too esoteric for me to understand.

You might try a different mail client for that email account to see if it will work without crashing.

Mail Crashing within Seconds of Opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.