Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Dell P3222qe Compatible with Macbook M1 Pro?

I had problems getting full resolution with an Intel Macbook Pro I5

Any first-hand knowledge or any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 11:05 PM

The answer to this case if anyone cares-

Cables Matter. USB-C is the style but there ar many protocols for this shell- Thunderbolt 3 & 4, DisplayPort etc... it's what's inside the cable that counts. Now I'm a newbie that discovered this through pain so if you all new that sorry.

The USB-C port on the Dell 3222qe is DisplayPort 1.4, not 1.2. But the above info got helped find a solution. .

I set up the new M1 MacBook Pro with the USB-C acting as DisplayPort 1.4 and 65 watts will fully charge this 67 watt MacBook Pro M1 14inch 10/16 32 and keep it charged. I am running power through the monitor vi USB-C.

The other ports on the P3222qe hub did not work with the Dell cable- that is until I changed which Thurnderbolt port I had it plugged in. Maybe it was just removing and replacing but I went from the left back to the left front the USB devices on the monitor came to life- BUT not all of them. The audio and video had to be connected directly to the Mac.

Then I turned off the MacBook and replaced the cable with a "Thunderbolt 4/3 and USB-C 3.2/.USB 4 Cable with 40Gbps Data, 8K Video Support, and 100W Charging" by Cable Matters. Everything changed on restart. All the USB ports worked on the monitor which is running 6720 x 3780 in the system report @ 60HZ but I think in reality 3840 × 2160 as shown in in the Mac preferences which I scaled down for my weary eyes. Just visually stunning.

The monitor reported 3840 × 2160 DP1.4 USB 3.2 Gen 1 and HBR3 (High Bit Rate) with the Dell Cable.

With the Hi Def cable it reports 2160p 30bit and same for the rest.

The sound and video devices work on all ports on the monitor's USB hub. But not on my older USB A Hub which runs a sheet-fed scanner and needs replacement as the drives and SSD require a high speed hub.

The last issue I had was when the monitor went to sleep- I couldn't wake it with my Bluetooth keyboard or mouse and had to attach a USB keyboard. So far so good on that but an overnighter will be the test.

All in all if the computer wakes the monitor tomorrow morning I'll be thrilled. thrilled and ripping up my Dell RMA.

I hope one day this helps someone but it has certainly been a long strange trip.

BTW- This machine is faaast! Blazing.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 11:05 PM in response to Flippant1

The answer to this case if anyone cares-

Cables Matter. USB-C is the style but there ar many protocols for this shell- Thunderbolt 3 & 4, DisplayPort etc... it's what's inside the cable that counts. Now I'm a newbie that discovered this through pain so if you all new that sorry.

The USB-C port on the Dell 3222qe is DisplayPort 1.4, not 1.2. But the above info got helped find a solution. .

I set up the new M1 MacBook Pro with the USB-C acting as DisplayPort 1.4 and 65 watts will fully charge this 67 watt MacBook Pro M1 14inch 10/16 32 and keep it charged. I am running power through the monitor vi USB-C.

The other ports on the P3222qe hub did not work with the Dell cable- that is until I changed which Thurnderbolt port I had it plugged in. Maybe it was just removing and replacing but I went from the left back to the left front the USB devices on the monitor came to life- BUT not all of them. The audio and video had to be connected directly to the Mac.

Then I turned off the MacBook and replaced the cable with a "Thunderbolt 4/3 and USB-C 3.2/.USB 4 Cable with 40Gbps Data, 8K Video Support, and 100W Charging" by Cable Matters. Everything changed on restart. All the USB ports worked on the monitor which is running 6720 x 3780 in the system report @ 60HZ but I think in reality 3840 × 2160 as shown in in the Mac preferences which I scaled down for my weary eyes. Just visually stunning.

The monitor reported 3840 × 2160 DP1.4 USB 3.2 Gen 1 and HBR3 (High Bit Rate) with the Dell Cable.

With the Hi Def cable it reports 2160p 30bit and same for the rest.

The sound and video devices work on all ports on the monitor's USB hub. But not on my older USB A Hub which runs a sheet-fed scanner and needs replacement as the drives and SSD require a high speed hub.

The last issue I had was when the monitor went to sleep- I couldn't wake it with my Bluetooth keyboard or mouse and had to attach a USB keyboard. So far so good on that but an overnighter will be the test.

All in all if the computer wakes the monitor tomorrow morning I'll be thrilled. thrilled and ripping up my Dell RMA.

I hope one day this helps someone but it has certainly been a long strange trip.

BTW- This machine is faaast! Blazing.

Nov 21, 2021 6:56 AM in response to Flippant1

also, consider this new article:

Connect to HDMI from your Mac - Apple Support

if your computer does not support 4K at 60 Hz HDMI directly , your adapters MUST support it -- else you will be stuck at 30 Hz over HDMI.

Unlike DisplayPort family, HDMI has very constrained bandwidth and requires certified High Speed cables for data rates higher than 720p TV sets.

Nov 20, 2021 7:12 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I am awaiting my M1 MacBook this week.

I tried it with my 2020 MacBook Pro I5 while waiting, first with the USB-C cable that was on my previous 27” “U” series Dell monitor. It did not work. I tried again with the new USB-C cable that came with the 32" monitor and it got the USB-C ports to work but only in Dell’s High Data Speed setting and then only in 24-bit color.

When I switched to High-resolution mode for 30-bit color-that did not work, and the USB-C ports were not functional.

Dell’s tech support told me I need to download executable driver files. They seem unaware of Macintosh.

I was told for the M1 to use the HDMI cable of image and separately to use the USB-C port for connectivity though I can’t get 30-bit color working on the Intel Mac. I was aware of this as the new M! would not get USB-C power which is limited to 65 watts.

I trusted Dell support and sales. Subsequently, I have read about difficulties with the M1 though when I purchased the Dell, I wanted a U series which was sold out, and told this new

P3322qe was compatible with all plug and play.

Attached is an image that shows the Intel Mac recognizes the Dell Monitor in Monterey, but I fear I am running out of time on the return period and I have not been able to find anyone that has the P3222qe working with full functionality.

Initially, I immediately tried to return the new Dell when it would not give me full functionality with the Intel Mac, but Dell customer service is giving me a very difficult time- taking my info and putting me on hold for 60 minutes while supposedly generating an RMA and disconnecting. On another call telling me I would receive an email that evening with an RMA and case # which never came over a week ago- and more.

I would love to get the Dell to work and had been sold into it first by tech support assuring me of the compatibility- then transferring me to sales which picked the monitor- I initially called for the U series Dell which was out of stock. Now I wish I bought a Benq but I had good previous experience with Dell.

Dell promised me they would give me an RMA but have not been making it easy, It does not work as promised.

Any help or insights are much appreciated.

Nov 21, 2021 6:48 AM in response to Flippant1

System preferences > Displays ...

... has been "dumbed down" for exe of use by casual users, and no longer has enough technical information for debugging.

 menu > About This Mac > (System report) > Graphics and Displays

will show you two actual numbers for attained resolution. The first is "Resolution", and tell you what resolution graphical elements will be displayed at. We expect this to the the 4K the display is rated for.

The other one is called "User Interface Looks Like" and this will be lower to make your text readable. The graphics processor renders fonts at full resolution, then scales them to "UI Looks Like" for display. This scaling may be 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2.0 depending on your display and what you selected for scaling. If scaling is not selected at all, your text elements may be nearly unreadable.

Nov 21, 2021 6:50 AM in response to Flippant1

<<  Dell’s tech support told me I need to download executable driver files. They seem unaware of Macintosh. >>

on the PC, that tiny bit of downloaded code sets the maximum rate built into the software and quits. If that damages your display, tough luck.

to get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• on invoking Option-(Detect Display) button in Displays preferences (from another display)

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

Nov 21, 2021 9:07 PM in response to Flippant1

I have only used this with My Intel Mac at this point.

I did not try the M1 yet. I am receiving it at the end of the week, The Dell does not have Displayport. I do have a 4K High-speed "Ultra High Definition" HDMI cable- The same which I use to get HDR on my 4K TV with Apple TV.

The Dell does not have Displayport.

My thoughts are leaning to push the return at Dell, though it's a pain, ago with a BenQ PD3200U which does have a DisplayPort among others and says it is M1 compatible in writing.

The Dell is a beautiful monitor and I would love to keep it then go through difficulties with Dell but I won't have my Mac in time to test it so unless I can find someone who has run this successfully with the Macbook M1 Pro, I may have to take the difficult road which Dell is not making the least bit easy. Surprisingly a very difficult company to work with.

Any more thoughts? BTW- I read the Apple link to cables. Still, no help until I try. I didn't understand that USB-C has several iterations; Thunderbolt 3 & 4 and some dumb USB-C. I think

Nov 22, 2021 5:38 AM in response to Flippant1

Based on the model number you said and the information I could find online, that Dell display does indeed have DisplayPort:

Input Connectors

1 x DisplayPort (DP) 1.4 (in) port

1 x HDMI 2.0 port

1 x USB Type-C upstream port (Alternate mode with DisplayPort 1.2, Power Delivery up to 65 W)*

in addition, USB-C contains DisplayPort protocol (encapsulated in a bigger USB-C envelope) and can run ports on the display and could be used to Power some MacBook Pro models at the same time. Interestingly, if you run USB-C, the DisplayPort it can support appears to be only DisplayPort 1.2, (according to dell) which does not support data compression/decompression.

65W is enough to Charge+Run a 14-in MacBook Pro, not enough for the 16-in MacBook Pro that requires about 100W to Charge+Run, plus another 40 to fast charge.

For new computers, you need not concern yourself with all the different versions of different protocols. You are working at what is (currently) the high-end of all that stuff, and there are fewer limitations now.

Nov 22, 2021 6:43 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for your reply- here's what my system report says with the Intel Mac:

DELL P3222QE:

Resolution: 5120 x 2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus)

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440 @ 60.00Hz

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

This is over USB C- I only hope I can get similar results with my MacBook M1 Pro- I was considering swopping for a Benq but the Model with all the ports is $500 more $$.

If my Intel Mac sees this with Monterey, will the M1 see same- I have about 4 days to the actual test. I was surprised this is reporting 5K- thoughts?

Nov 25, 2021 6:59 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I appreciate the time you took to check this out. It sounds like everything “should” run over the USB-C DisplayPort The only possible issue may be Data compression/ decompression. Excuse my ignorance but how would that effect me in practical terms.

it sounds like with power over usb~c this could be a single port connection for power and video. Would the data comp/decomp effect that or just speeds of peripherals?

I was about to return this and get a Benq but this has a terrific image and seems to do most things I am looking for.

Would you elaborate on the data compression issue?

Also would you run via the usb-c DisplayPort or hdmi or DisplayPort if this was your setup?

I am very grateful for your participation and the help you already gave me.,

Nov 25, 2021 8:37 AM in response to Flippant1

HDMI was invented for HD TV sets at 1920 by 720p, and when try you run it faster, starts by requiring specially-certified cables. Once you get above 2560 by 1600, HDMI has so many constraints it becomes a rebalancing act to get it to work properly.

HDMI is unlikely to ever have as much bandwidth at DisplayPort, DisplayPort-over-USB-C or DisplayPort-over ThunderBolt.

Nov 25, 2021 10:09 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

You’ve been incredibly helpful. What I hope to be last question on this monitor/MacBook:

Should the usb-c DisplayPort cable workining with this monitor and a 2020 Intel MacBook Pro be sufficient or do you think I will require a Thunderbolt 3 or 4 USB-c cable with specifications for 4k, 40gb transfers and charging? On that note if usb-c is sufficient will thunderbolt 4 usb-c be better. I don’t believe thiis monitor supports Thunderbolt but it did take a newer usb-c cable to get it working with the built in hub ports functional to deliver power over usb.

I had no signal on the Dell P3222qe with the usb-c cable from my Dell U2720q which I am upgrading from. It took the new cable that came with the monitor to get a power up. On the latter new monitor.

Again, thanks so much for sharing your understanding and knowledge.

Dec 7, 2021 3:35 AM in response to Dylin

Hello,

The network port is one I have not had the opportunity to test, so my answer was made in happiness yet haste as I cannot confirm they’ll first hand.

I am using a Fios Gigabit connection and the WiFi is so incredibly fast at 450-500mbs with the M1Pro as one device on the connection wvwm if I have my 75in 4K TV running simultaneously.

I can tell you even the fastest 40gbs USB- C hubs, while improving sata transfer speed to 400- 800 mbs connected to 3 Samsung T7 SSDs formatted to APFS. They still come no where their claimed speed.

I can’t imagine that the RJ45 port wouldn’t work as every other port does, but I believe the speed will be hard pressed to pass the WiFi speed I’ve enjoyed. With the M1 connected directly to the FIOS modem/router I am still stuck at 450/500’mbs with a Thunderbolt 4 cable. - the same speed I am getting from WiFi.

Good luck.

Is Dell P3222qe Compatible with Macbook M1 Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.