Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finding files has never been hard on a Mac until I got OS12

I suppose there are several ways to search for a file on a Mac, the one I've use for decades is; I open a Finder window and in the upper right hand corner is an area where I can search. I almost never search for contents of a file, but rather I am searching for file names ONLY.

Starting with OS 12, when I type something I'm searching for there's a choice that reads "filename". However, "filename" is dimmed, and I cannot select it. How do I go about searching for filenames ONLY?

Thanks

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 8:17 PM

Well, I guess that's it. I only got "contains ABCXYZ" which then selects name: ABCXYZ. I don't have to choose between filename and everything, but the options are there.

If you enter "name: ABCXYZ" it will get there faster.

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 20, 2021 7:47 PM in response to Barney-15E

OK, I think I've got it, but it works in a very weird way to me. Let me tell you what happens and you can see if this is "normal".

Searching for a file that I know exists. I enter "ABCXYZ" immediately below the search window it reads "filename" (dimmed) I then get a list of documents that contain "ABCXYZ". If I drill down a bit and click on "contains" "ABCXYZ" I am then presented with a choice "filename" or "everything". I select "filename" and I finally get the search that I'm after, showing me only the filenames of my search.

Finding files has never been hard on a Mac until I got OS12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.