Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder's "Search" Option not working

I am trying to use Finder's "Search" option (in the upper right hand corner of Finder) to locate files on my iMac (using Mac OS Monterey v12.6) and it has stopped working. This is one of my favorite features! These are files that I KNOW 100% are on my computer. No matter what I search for, it doesn't find them. I made sure the search settings are checked to find the file name. My husband has the same exact computer and his search function is still working. Thank you in advance!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 2:55 PM

Finder's search depends on the drive you are searching to have been indexed by Spotlight and choosing the appropriate categories of indexable items in Spotlight's Search Results. It also depends on you using the correct Spotlight keyword(s) to narrow your search results.

In System Preferences > Spotlight Search Results tab, select the categories that you want Spotlight to index on your iMac. Then, switch to the Privacy tab and drag/drop the Macintosh HD drive icon onto the Privacy panel. Then select it in that panel, and click the [-] removal button. This triggers a Spotlight indexing of your startup drive. Wait 15 minutes and then try your Finder window search again. Use the Narrow your search results on Mac - Apple Support information if that is new to you.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2022 2:55 PM in response to Seabunk

Finder's search depends on the drive you are searching to have been indexed by Spotlight and choosing the appropriate categories of indexable items in Spotlight's Search Results. It also depends on you using the correct Spotlight keyword(s) to narrow your search results.

In System Preferences > Spotlight Search Results tab, select the categories that you want Spotlight to index on your iMac. Then, switch to the Privacy tab and drag/drop the Macintosh HD drive icon onto the Privacy panel. Then select it in that panel, and click the [-] removal button. This triggers a Spotlight indexing of your startup drive. Wait 15 minutes and then try your Finder window search again. Use the Narrow your search results on Mac - Apple Support information if that is new to you.

Oct 19, 2022 2:04 PM in response to Seabunk

Ordinarily, the Macintosh HD is your startup drive's icon that appears in the upper-right corner of your screen underneath the Date/Time menu item. If you named your startup drive something else, it should be in that location too.

If there is nothing there, then click on your Desktop to make Finder current, and visit the Finder menu where you select its Preferences panel. Under General, select Hard disks.

Finder's "Search" Option not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.