Why is searching for files so dang weird?

If I want to find a file by type/size/date, I open a Finder window and hit Command ⌘ F. However, not all Finder Windows are alike (apparently). For instance, hitting ⌘ N for a new Finder window and hitting ⌘ F, just pops the cursor into the search bar. In order to search by type/size/date I must have the HD showing, double-click on the HD, and then ⌘ F will work. Otherwise... who knows? So, here are my questions;

1. Is there a better way to get to this far superior Finding tool?
  2. Does anyone know why its so well hidden?

Any input on this is welcome. I use this tool 50 times a day, so I've love to know any tips or trick ya'll have.

Thank you!

Posted on May 11, 2023 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2023 10:37 AM

Understand that whether you use the Finder's ⌘F Find facility, a search field in an open Finder window, or the menu extra's Spotlight 🔍 tool, they all are dependent upon your configuration for Spotlight indexing categories.

All you have to do to always use the Finder's Find facility is to click once on your Desktop to give Finder keyboard focus and keystroke ⌘F. It is also the last item on the Finder's File menu, so its not hidden. That keystroke will open a Finder Find window above any existing Finder window on your Desktop.

Tested: macOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2023 10:37 AM in response to Opinions4Free

Understand that whether you use the Finder's ⌘F Find facility, a search field in an open Finder window, or the menu extra's Spotlight 🔍 tool, they all are dependent upon your configuration for Spotlight indexing categories.

All you have to do to always use the Finder's Find facility is to click once on your Desktop to give Finder keyboard focus and keystroke ⌘F. It is also the last item on the Finder's File menu, so its not hidden. That keystroke will open a Finder Find window above any existing Finder window on your Desktop.

Tested: macOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a).

May 12, 2023 12:20 PM in response to Ronasara

Ronasara,

So true. I've always said you can tell what kind of person you're dealing with by how they prepare to go to the beach. Some people get up at dawn, run out the door and arrive at the beach with no towel, no sunscreen, and nothing to eat or drink. Others are so over-prepared it takes them until noon to lug all their first-aid boxes and generators out on the sand. I admit I'm more like the no-towel person. But, its never too late to try!

Thanks!

Why is searching for files so dang weird?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.