Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard layout

I have a laptop (MacBook pro 15) and a desktop iMac 27". Both run the same OS (Big Sur 11.6) Both are bought in the UK. But the keyboard layout when I type Cyrillic is different although the physical keyboards are the same. The issue arose with the latest OS update

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 4:02 PM

I have confirmed that the keyboard in the link I gave you, Macedonian Extended, seems to behave like your MacBook. You just have to download it and install in your iMac and both should work the same way.

9 replies

Nov 21, 2021 4:40 AM in response to cefmacedonia

cefmacedonia wrote:

the keyboard layout when I type Cyrillic is different although the physical keyboards are the same.

The keyboard layout is determined by what you have set in System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources. Go there on both machines and make sure you have the same item on the list for Cyrillic. Use the + and - buttons to adjust. There are 3 different possibilities for Russian.

Nov 21, 2021 7:46 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you, I should explain more. I don't type Russian, I use a Macedonian keyboard layout. On both machines, I use the default Macedonian keyboard. The differences are affecting the keys where it is common to find grave accent, as well as the quotation marks. The keyboards were the same on both machines. Funny thing is that I updated the OS on both computers (laptop and desktop) and the change occurred only on the iMac.

Nov 21, 2021 11:10 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you for your willingness to help with this issue. I really appreciate it.

Your layout is the one I have on the iMac. The layout on the MacBook Pro differs in this way:

On the iMac, the top left letter is ѐ and with SHIFT Ѐ. On the laptop, that key is the lower quotation mark , and with SHIFT, the upper quotation mark .

The challenge is not with these letters, but with the two other. because the Macedonian language has two special characters ѐ and ѝ which, in the MAcBook keyboard I get bu using the grave accent (option `). In fonts that don't have dedicated ѐ and ѝ letters this is very convenient. And I have lost that option on the iMac.

Nov 22, 2021 4:43 AM in response to cefmacedonia

cefmacedonia wrote: Your layout is the one I have on the iMac. The layout on the MacBook Pro differs in this way:

The layout you describe on your MacBook Pro can't be the one provided by Apple. I think you must have downloaded one from the internet and used that instead, and now that layout has gone missing from the iMac. Can you remember where you got it? Have you checked in system preferences > keyboard > input sources on the iMac, where you can add new keyboards, and looked in the Others category to see if there is another Macedonian keyboard you can activate?

I can make a copy of the Apple layout with the grave accent option for you if necessary.

Keyboard layout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.