Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac 27" 2019 not booting

Hi,

My 2019 Imac has problems booting. Most of the times will not boot at all, nothing on screen, I see on some controllers that they power up, but nothing from the Imac. I usually do all sorts of kwy combonations to boot it, nothing seems to really work, but after 4-5 tries it finally boots. WHat usually works is keeping the power button pressed 10 secs after the power was cut, then boot again. Other times just cut the power and start until it boots. Eventually it boots, but it is a major pain, and I am scared I will lose all my work.

Do you know what this could be?

Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 9:05 AM

Three things to try -- first, make sure you have a good backup of everything:

(1) Boot into Safe Mode. Hold Shift key down when booting, this may take 10-15 minutes as repairs are done and certain files are cleaned out.

(2) Boot into Recovery, holding Command-R when booting. Select the option for Disk Utility and run First Aid on all disks visible (use the drop down menu on upper left to show all devices).

(3) Reset SMC, instructions vary for different computers. Desktop computers

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
  2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

(4) You might need to reinstall the MacOS, you can do this from Recovery.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 9:05 AM in response to Floxbs

Three things to try -- first, make sure you have a good backup of everything:

(1) Boot into Safe Mode. Hold Shift key down when booting, this may take 10-15 minutes as repairs are done and certain files are cleaned out.

(2) Boot into Recovery, holding Command-R when booting. Select the option for Disk Utility and run First Aid on all disks visible (use the drop down menu on upper left to show all devices).

(3) Reset SMC, instructions vary for different computers. Desktop computers

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
  2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

(4) You might need to reinstall the MacOS, you can do this from Recovery.

Imac 27" 2019 not booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.