Related Article: Apple security releases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my phone get Stuck On Preparing Update

My phone is not updating and freezing on preparing update

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 7:22 AM

Hi,

Sometimes if an update is big it might take a while for it to prepare the update. If it has been more than an hour since it was stuck on preparing update you can:

• Make sure you are updating with Wi-Fi and your iPhone is close to your router/ modem.
  • Delete the update in settings > general > iPhone storage > scroll down and tap on the iOS update > then delete it. You should restart your iPhone then go back to settings > general > software update > then tap download and install. After entering your passcode/ password to download the update, leave your iPhone and let it update. Do not use it until it is done updating.
  • If these steps do not work, you can contact Apple support directly so they can run diagnostics on your iPhone and see if there is a hardware or software issue that is preventing the phone from being updated.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 7:22 AM in response to roccol28

Hi,

Sometimes if an update is big it might take a while for it to prepare the update. If it has been more than an hour since it was stuck on preparing update you can:

• Make sure you are updating with Wi-Fi and your iPhone is close to your router/ modem.
  • Delete the update in settings > general > iPhone storage > scroll down and tap on the iOS update > then delete it. You should restart your iPhone then go back to settings > general > software update > then tap download and install. After entering your passcode/ password to download the update, leave your iPhone and let it update. Do not use it until it is done updating.
  • If these steps do not work, you can contact Apple support directly so they can run diagnostics on your iPhone and see if there is a hardware or software issue that is preventing the phone from being updated.

Why does my phone get Stuck On Preparing Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.