Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

authorization

Music, books and TV apps tell me I can not authorize my new MacBook because I already authorized 5 computers which is the limit. But when I log in to apple and show devices, it only list my new computer and my old computer. I spoke to an apple tech on the phone and they tell me to click "deauthorize all" but I want to be able to identify the 3 mystery computers. How can apple claim I have 5 authorizations when only two are listed??? I really, really want to know. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 11:31 AM

There is no place that you can "log into Apple and show devices" that shows devices that are authorized for iTunes. When you log in online to see devices you are seeing devices that are signed in to your Apple ID -- that is not the same thing as devices that have been authorized for iTunes.

Also see below from Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

On the Account Information page, scroll to the Apple ID Summary section. You'll see the number of computers that you've authorized with your Apple ID. You can’t see the names of those computers. If you haven't authorized 2 or more computers, you won't see this section.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 11:31 AM in response to rick_de

There is no place that you can "log into Apple and show devices" that shows devices that are authorized for iTunes. When you log in online to see devices you are seeing devices that are signed in to your Apple ID -- that is not the same thing as devices that have been authorized for iTunes.

Also see below from Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

On the Account Information page, scroll to the Apple ID Summary section. You'll see the number of computers that you've authorized with your Apple ID. You can’t see the names of those computers. If you haven't authorized 2 or more computers, you won't see this section.

Nov 21, 2021 11:58 AM in response to FoxFifth

devices that are authorized

vs

devices that are signed in

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !!!

This is the explanation I was seeking.

So a computer that has not been turned on in many years, is still authorized but will not show on the list. This is a clear flaw in apple's system. If they want to count that long forgotten computer against my total, they should include it on the list and give me the option to deauthorize it individually. "Deauthorize all" strikes me as a nuclear option that is likely to cause sign in problems for weeks to come.

authorization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.