Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using my old iPod shuffle with Music

My iPhone is on the fritz. I had been using a built-in app to listen to text files during my daily walk. I hate to miss out on that until I get a new phone. So I thought my old iPod shuffle 512MB could fill in. Using the nifty feature built into MacOS, I selected the text, right clicked and chose "Add to Music as spoken Track." That worked fine, but how to add it now to my iPod shuffle? In Music, I do not see a Devices section in the sidebar that I can drag the tracks to. Advice appreciated.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 9:58 AM

Audio files are not transferred in Finder, but in the Music app.

The "Devices" section you were missing in the sidebar of the Music app only appears if there are devices to show. However, if your iPod shows up in the sidebar of Finder under "Locations" after you connect it, it should show up in the sidebar of the Music app as well - or does it?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2021 9:58 AM in response to Timothy Arends1

Audio files are not transferred in Finder, but in the Music app.

The "Devices" section you were missing in the sidebar of the Music app only appears if there are devices to show. However, if your iPod shows up in the sidebar of Finder under "Locations" after you connect it, it should show up in the sidebar of the Music app as well - or does it?

Nov 23, 2021 1:35 PM in response to chuckbl

OK, the Mac is recognizing the shuffle. On the sidebar, in addition to the control panel shown in the attachment, there briefly flashed another entry for the shuffle. I thought this was what I drag the Finder audio files to, but then it went away.

However, in the control panel, I see an entry for "sync only checked songs." By "checked songs" does it mean that I still manage what appears on the shuffle in the Music app? Or where do the checkboxes it is referring to reside?

Using my old iPod shuffle with Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.