Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to set up a new iPad

I have a new iPad air wifi no cellular and set up iMessage but I cannot send messages to non iPad or iPhone users from Messages. It always tries to send the message but every time, it just stops and outputs that it has not been delivered. When I turn iMessage off every time I want to send a text message it asks to login.

I can send messages to the android user on my iPhone to the same people that I want to message to using my iPad, with no problem. Something is not turned on on my new ipad. I can't find out what it is that is blocking all Android users

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 4:30 PM

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, to send SMS/MMS messages from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your [new] iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 4:30 PM in response to Sobeitagain

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, to send SMS/MMS messages from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your [new] iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

Trying to set up a new iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.