Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant do touch id only password when unlocking mac everytime and the option is on

How to unlock my mac with touch id when the option is enabled, however still not working?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 11:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 1:22 AM

It depends.

Are you logging out of your account, or shutting down your mac? Then your password will always be required for the first time you login. Afterwards, you can use touch id, for instance if you put your mac to sleep or lock your screen.

8 replies

Nov 22, 2021 6:33 AM in response to yoowh0

yoowh0 wrote:

How to unlock my mac with touch id when the option is enabled, however still not working?

There are a few instances where Touch ID will not be accepted by macOS:

• If you restarted your Mac, or if you're not logged into your user account.

• If you have not unlocked your Mac for 48 hours.

• If you are trying to unlock Security & Privacy

• If you are trying to unlock Users & Groups Preferences (when FileVault is on)

• If 5 wrong fingerprint attempts

"If you have problems with Touch ID"

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/touch-id-mchl16fbf90a/mac

Nov 22, 2021 6:20 AM in response to yoowh0

You do not seem to understand what I am saying. It is that way by design.

I am NOT telling you to restart or shut down. Doing so will ALWAYS require you to type the password.

If you don’t want to have to enter your password, don’t shut down or restart your mac. If it is a laptop, just close the lid. Your mac will go to sleep. When you open it again you can use touch id.

Again: if you shut down or restart you will have to type the password the next time you want to login, but if just put your mac to sleep you don’t need to use the password.

cant do touch id only password when unlocking mac everytime and the option is on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.