Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro M1 not streaming music to Airport Express via airplay

Just upgraded to new iPad Pro 11 less than 2 weeks back and just discovered a problem: it could not stream audio to my airport express (Gen2) via airplay.

whether is music app or spotify, when I select the airplay target, the music will continue to play without ant sound and fall back to iPad's internal speaker a few seconds later.

Rebooting the iPad does not fix the problem. Although airplay seems to work after reboot, the problem will reoccur again once I stop the music app and wanted to play music again.

all other iOS and iPadOS devices in my house works fine (iPhone SE, iPhone12 mini and iPad Air 4).

all devices are on their latest iOS or iPad OS version. Airport express running on v7.8.1

What I have tried:

• reset iPad network setting - didn't work
  • erase all content and rest iPad - didn't work
  • hard reset airport express - didn't work

Logged a case with Apple, showed the senior advisor on what happened via screenshare, could not identify the issue. Asked me to goto authorized service center to check the device, which they were only able to do a reformat (again) on the device but since they do not have any airplay device to test, I have to take it back home and test again. As expected, the problem persists. Went back to the service center again today, was told that I need to leave my iPad there for further checking, which could take up to 2 weeks to complete (There is no Apple repair center in Malaysia. The closest center is in Singapore). I could not do that as I need the iPad for work.

Does anyone has similar issue? I read in this forum that there are other airplay issue with M1 chip but almost all are with Macbook instead of iPad.

I just want to know if this is a software issue that could be resolved in future iPad OS update, or is this a hardware issue that actually warrants another trip to service center and deposit the device there for 2 weeks while I look for alternative to do my work.

thanks

Ben

case 101549399820

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 1:19 AM

It maybe seems (notice I’m careful) that following steps have solved it for me.

downgrade firmware airport express to 7.6.9 (airplay 1.0, can only stream to 1 device at a time)

upgrade firmware to 7.8.1 (current version)

I had already read that 7.6.9 was a solution, but you loose functionality (manage volume one device streaming to airport express from another device in same network). So after downgrade I upgraded again and now it seems to work as expected.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2022 1:19 AM in response to BenjaminCKHo

It maybe seems (notice I’m careful) that following steps have solved it for me.

downgrade firmware airport express to 7.6.9 (airplay 1.0, can only stream to 1 device at a time)

upgrade firmware to 7.8.1 (current version)

I had already read that 7.6.9 was a solution, but you loose functionality (manage volume one device streaming to airport express from another device in same network). So after downgrade I upgraded again and now it seems to work as expected.

Jan 13, 2022 8:38 AM in response to BenjaminCKHo

Hi,

Take a look at the discussion on this page.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252720924?page=5

That discussion is all about the M1 Macbook but in fact it’s the same issue, same chip right? Apparently what helps is to run the the upgrade of the Airport Express firmware, while the M1 device is on the network. I’ve been streaming music from several devices the whole day, switching between them. No issue at all anymore.

Dec 10, 2021 6:24 AM in response to BenjaminCKHo

I was having this identical issue with my iPad Pro M1 and AirPort Express audio and was able to resolve it using a strange but very simple workaround: I first streamed to my HomePod Mini stereo pair, then *also* added the stream to the AirPort Express channel. I'd first tried this successfully with Apple Music, then switched to Spotify and the problem returned. I was able to then rectify it with Spotify by repeating the process. See screen shot. I don't know whether the presence of the HomePod station confused the system or interfered somehow with the audio to AirPort Express, nor whether you also have a HomePod speaker option, but this fixed it for me.

Dec 3, 2021 6:04 AM in response to Kelviiiiiin

Update: it looks like a iPadOS15.1 issue.

I sent in my iPad to an authorized service center. They have me a replacement iPad with iPadOS 14.5 installed.

Went home and tested airplay and it works flawlessly. I could not reproduce the issue I had before.

However once I updated to 15.1 and restored my backup, the problem comes back.

I need to update my support case so that Apple knows there is an software issue.

Jan 12, 2022 5:39 AM in response to BenjaminCKHo

I can confirm I have the same issue with an iPad Pro 12.9 2021 and an Airport Express 2nd Gen.

A similar workaround indeed solves the issue for me. I have 2 other devices to which I can airplay: an Apple TV and a Samsung TV with airplay. Indeed when I first select one of these 2 devices and then the Airport Express it will play to the Airport (with sound coming from my connected speakers). Of course this is undesired, just a strange workaround.

What also works as a workaround is turning off the iPad completely. But when I have used my iPhone to stream to the airport, the iPad will fail again.

To me it seems a combined hardware/software issue, i.e. iPad Pro 2021 and IOS 15.1. In one of the other replies I read that downgrading to IOS 14.5 has solved it, which I cannot confirm, but I can confirm that an iPad Pro 12.9 2018 with IOS 15.1 does not have this issue.

Lastly I noticed that there is a slightly different behaviour for Apple’s native Music app: there the track will stop playing when trying to stream to the Airport Esxpress. In Spotify it will continue to play, but without sound.

iPad Pro M1 not streaming music to Airport Express via airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.