You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant stuck

It consistently gets stuck at "Updating your system settings...".

I've tried doing the migration directly from the old MBP using a firewire cable, and also (as in the screenshot) from a recent Time Machine backup. It goes fairly fast (about an hour for 500 GB of data) for a while, then hangs (I've waited for 4 hours). I've tried several times cancelling and attempting again.

sshing into the machine shows 0 disk activity (from iostat) and only incidental CPU activity (WindowServer using a few percent).

The new machine is a MBP M1 Max just out of the box, and the old machine is a MBP 16" 2019 running Catalina.

I've also tried it with "system settings" deselected in the list of things to migrate, but it doesn't help (in fact, the screenshot below is with it deselected, so it seems to want to do something with settings anyway.)

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 5:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 10:01 AM

Is one Migrating Everything from Old to New M1 Apple Silicon computer ? Personally would suggest not doing this for the reasons below;

1 - Any, already existing issues present on the Old and on the Backup Drive may well be Migrated onto the New computer. This will effectively Negate an otherwise Pristine and Virginal Installation of Monterey.

2 - Application from Old to New may not be Monterey macOS 12 Compatible especially since the New Computer runs on the ARMs based CPU and does not support anything 32 Bit.

3 - Would suggest only Migrating the User Account and nothing more. Personal documents etc can be moved over later.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 22, 2021 10:01 AM in response to tlbtlbtlb

Is one Migrating Everything from Old to New M1 Apple Silicon computer ? Personally would suggest not doing this for the reasons below;

1 - Any, already existing issues present on the Old and on the Backup Drive may well be Migrated onto the New computer. This will effectively Negate an otherwise Pristine and Virginal Installation of Monterey.

2 - Application from Old to New may not be Monterey macOS 12 Compatible especially since the New Computer runs on the ARMs based CPU and does not support anything 32 Bit.

3 - Would suggest only Migrating the User Account and nothing more. Personal documents etc can be moved over later.

Migration assistant stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.