Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration does not complete

macOS 12.0.1 (Monterey)

MacBook Pro (15in 2016)

I backed up my Mac using TimeMachine, ran first aid (Disk Utility) on both the external TimeMachine HD and my MacBook Pro (2TB SSD), erased the HD, reinstalled macOS, and then used the Migration Assistant to get me back to a clean install.

Unfortunately, the migration did not complete after several days (external HD connected by USB). Thus, I minimized the data migration to my personal account. This also failed to complete after several days. Eventually, the number of files transferred stopped incrementing and the bytes/sec gradually decreased lower and lower. Even though I did not ask that System Settings be transferred, the final message indicates System Settings are being transferred.

In each case, I eventually canceled the migration. Although the space remaining on my drive indicates that a lot of data has been transferred, it is not accessible. For example, the desktop and Documents folders are empty.

I'd be happy to locate the data and transfer the information manually. Any advice?

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 8:54 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Dec 10, 2021 8:57 AM in response to Ben Abbott1

Make a bootable Big Sur install USB device and boot from that

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

To get Big Sur installer:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

You do need a working macOS version to do this. Then boot from the bootable USB device and install Big Sur on your startup disk after first erasing the disk

Dec 10, 2021 3:22 AM in response to Ben Abbott1

Assuming that the problem is related to running the Migration Assistant on Monterey, you could perhaps install Big Sur, recover your user files, and then upgrade to Monterey. This would take a lot of time to complete and, ultimately, may not be successful depending on the source of the original problem.

Consider the following outline (based on using a bootable installer for Big Sur):

1) erase the internal drive, create a new APFS volume with the Disk Utility

2) perform a clean install of Big Sur

3) use the Migration Assistant to recover user files (perhaps first for a single account and then the remaining accounts) from the Time Machine backup

4) use Software Update to upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey

At this point, you should have a clean version of Monterey including your user files (but no apps or System settings). If Monterey is working well, use the Migration Assistant to transfer the installed applications (or reinstall them using updated versions where possible). Finally, manually update any required System settings.

- Pie Lover

migration does not complete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.