Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating BigSur to macOS Monterey

This upgrading should be a slam dunk. MacBook Air M1 all updates on BigSur. But, will I need to re-install all my programs like my email etc.

Will a Time Machine backup help with the reinstallation of any programs?

A bit nervous about messing up

Thanks for your time

Ralph

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 9:42 AM

The upgrade does not touch your data, settings or apps, except to install newer versions of Apple native apps if there are any.

For us and five Macs, nothing has ever been touched, including those apps that have licenses; MS Office 2019 and 2016 specifically.

You can use TM to migrate data and apps but that should not be necessary. Regardless, make at least one TM backup to have "just in case".

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2021 9:42 AM in response to Ralph6410

The upgrade does not touch your data, settings or apps, except to install newer versions of Apple native apps if there are any.

For us and five Macs, nothing has ever been touched, including those apps that have licenses; MS Office 2019 and 2016 specifically.

You can use TM to migrate data and apps but that should not be necessary. Regardless, make at least one TM backup to have "just in case".

Updating BigSur to macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.