Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble connecting my 2009 iMac to my 2012 MacBook Pro with target display mode

My 2009 iMac has a mini-display port, and my 2012 MacBook Pro has a Thunderbolt port. The instructions on Apple support say to use a mini-display port cable. I have bought one and connected them. After many tries and troubleshooting efforts, I cannot get the iMac to respond as a target display. Can anyone help me?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 5:45 PM

5 replies

Nov 22, 2021 6:58 PM in response to rkaufmann87

You, rkaufmann87, might try taking a little gentler approach, i.e. you don't have to insult people. Obviously, if you are right, that would be evident from your useful replies, so no need for the snide attitude.

The problem is both of you sent me to the same page on Apple, where nothing is said about 27-inches or "late" 2009. In fact, it specifically includes 24-inch iMacs from "2009," not "late 2009."

And I only reposted my question in order to correct the error that you (correctly) pointed out (my use of G5). No slight intended to you, and I'm not fishing for a response that I "want to hear," since that would obviously be useless.

I am finding other websites that agree with you. If this is true, why doesn't Apple clarify this in their page about target display mode? I have suggested they do so just now.

I have a call into Apple help via phone tomorrow. I'll update if they corroborate your statements. You could be right, but it's very annoying when several Apple chat agents tell me it's possible, that I have the wrong cable, and yada yada.

Having trouble connecting my 2009 iMac to my 2012 MacBook Pro with target display mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.