Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting 2009 G5 to a 2012 cMacBook Pro to use the G5 in target display mode - NOT WORKING! HELP!

G5 has a mini-display port. MBPro has a Thunderbolt. After much research and contacting Apple support directly, I have followed instructions carefully. I found a mini-d cable and have connected the two. When I press command-F2 nothing happens. Yet this should work according to everyone! They've checked the serial numbers also. And I've tried all the troubleshooting suggestions as well. No success. Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 9:02 PM

And according to Apple's own search using my serial number, my iMac is an "early 2009". I can assure you that it is a 24".

iMac (24-inch, Early 2009) is NOT compatible with Target Display Mode. Only certain iMac (27-inch, Early 2009) and 2010 versions are.

Apple recently updated that support article and added "24-inch" after years of being "27-inch" only. This to us appears to be a system error as 24-inch models never worked with Target Display Mode.

Cheers,

Jack

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2021 9:02 PM in response to Jojokrikri

And according to Apple's own search using my serial number, my iMac is an "early 2009". I can assure you that it is a 24".

iMac (24-inch, Early 2009) is NOT compatible with Target Display Mode. Only certain iMac (27-inch, Early 2009) and 2010 versions are.

Apple recently updated that support article and added "24-inch" after years of being "27-inch" only. This to us appears to be a system error as 24-inch models never worked with Target Display Mode.

Cheers,

Jack

Nov 22, 2021 5:03 PM in response to rkaufmann87

You are right about the G5. My mistake. That was my previous computer. I meant to say iMac. And according to Apple's own search using my serial number, my iMac is an "early 2009". I can assure you that it is a 24". I doubt that the screenshot I posted is inaccurate, since it came from the Apple's own website. Anything else you can add that might be helpful?

Connecting 2009 G5 to a 2012 cMacBook Pro to use the G5 in target display mode - NOT WORKING! HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.