Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spacebar does not work for some of apps on my iMac Retina after update from Big Sur to Monterey

I've been on Big Sur for the last year with no problems but after the update to Monterey, my spacebar no longer works in some apps. For example Excel. Works fine in Word but not Excel. I use Pulse for messaging and get the same result. When this happens, I also find that if I double tap the spacebar, focus goes somewhere else as if I've done some special key + TAB combo. The only way I've found to type a space is by pressing the spacebar in combination with 'alt opt'.

I am using a Logitech keyboard (I've tested several with identical results) and have searched and queried support on their website but customer service there is clueless and I've found no other users reporting the same problem. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 8:43 AM

Tired_Rabbit wrote: after the update to Monterey, my spacebar no longer works

Go to your Accessibility preferences and make sure that Full Keyboard Access is turned OFF.

4 replies

Nov 24, 2021 4:44 PM in response to karina184

Thanks Karina. Your takeaway is not 100% the one that I intended to leave. The twist is that some keys fail to work correctly in some apps. Consistently. And I just tested with different keyboards & got the same result.

And while here checking responses, I saw the next and gave it a shot - to uncheck Full KB Access - and wouldn't ya know... Bingo. I'm trying to recall which app recently requested that and am not sure. But I think it might have been a Logitec app or update. I hope it was just so I could, as a reward for the pain, revel in the irony. Well, I guess it's not really irony when a Canadian shoots themselves in the foot. There is a high demand for podiatrists up there, I hear.

Nov 24, 2021 5:00 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you so much. That worked. I must be the only person to have that happen or my search skills need honing.

You fired off a very simple directive without preamble signaling it was something obvious. I just switched over a year ago from a lifetime of Windows. I would like to get a better grip on ... well, being able to see the obvious. I've always found that to be an unstructured and eternal exercise with any tech. But very interesting. Like I'm sure the wild west was interesting.

Nov 24, 2021 7:48 AM in response to Tired_Rabbit

Hey Tired_Rabbit,

It sounds like you're having some trouble with just a specific key not working on your Mac. We'll be happy to help out.

Take a look at the steps under "If other keys don’t work" here: If your Mac doesn’t respond to key presses - Apple Support. Also, ensure there is no dirt or debris that is preventing the use of the key: How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support.

Have a great day. 

Spacebar does not work for some of apps on my iMac Retina after update from Big Sur to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.