Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have tried to perform a system upgrade to Monterey in safe mode and in normal mode. In both cases it stalls at 3 minutes, and I have waited hours for it to complete. Can anyone help?

I have tried to perform a system upgrade to Monterey in safe mode and in normal mode. In both cases it stalls at 3 minutes, and I have waited hours for it to complete. Can anyone help?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 7:42 AM

1 reply

Nov 23, 2021 7:44 AM in response to jcmacr

There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Empty Space Requirements  >> If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage. 

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.