Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator: open folder?

I use Automator a lot to remind me of certain tasks. I use Calendar Events for this purpose. I create Calendar Events to open individual documents. But once in a while it would be more efficient to open a whole folder rather than the various documents within the folder.

I do not find among the tools available in Automator any action that opens folders. Is there one?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 10:20 AM

It is pretty straightforward.

In Automator, you just have to do what (presumably) you already do, but instead of selecting a document to open, select a folder, eg:

5 replies

Nov 23, 2021 9:08 AM in response to R_55a

Impractical. You would have to provide Automator with a folder path to open, which would be passed into a Run Shell Script (or Run AppleScript) action that just issues the following command (shell example shown):

open "${1}"

which would then open a Finder window on that folder path. Alternatively, one could write a Quick Action that takes the selected Folder and then opens it in Finder. Still more involved than just double-clicking a folder in Finder to open it.

Better to just open the folder directly in the Finder and leave Automator out of it.

Automator: open folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.