Navigate to an open window from a dialog box?

On my Windows laptop, I used to have a feature where if I had a window open on the desktop and I had an open file dialog box from an app, clicking on the open window would make the open file dialog box navigate to that window location.

For example, if you had an open window of a folder that was in User > documents > work > accounts > invoices > 2020 on your desktop and you opened Word and then clicked “open”, a dialog box would open showing some other location. It you then clicked the open window whole the open dialog was open, the location would shift to the folder 2020, and show the files there.

Is this possible in MacOS?

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 9:46 PM

1. Open a Finder Window:
  2. Open a Finder window and navigate to the folder or location you want to work with.
  3. Open the File Dialog Box:
  4. Open the file dialog box in an application (e.g., when you're trying to open or save a file).
  5. Use the Proxy Icon:
  6. In the Finder window you previously opened, locate the proxy icon at the top center of the Finder window. The proxy icon is the small icon next to the folder's name in the title bar of the Finder window.
  7. Drag Proxy Icon to the Dialog Box:
  8. Click and drag the proxy icon from the Finder window to the file dialog box. Drop it onto the file path or directly into the file dialog's file list area.
  9. When you drop the proxy icon into the file dialog, the dialog box will navigate to the location of the dragged proxy icon in the Finder window. This allows you to easily navigate to the same location in the dialog box as the Finder window.
  10. Access Files and Save/Select:
  11. You should now see the files and folders from the location you dragged the proxy icon from. You can access the files and select or save as needed.

This feature is designed to provide a convenient way to navigate between Finder windows and open file dialog boxes, ensuring that you can easily access the files you need without manually navigating through the dialog box. It's worth noting that not all applications may support this feature, but it works well with most standard macOS file dialog boxes.

Keep in mind that macOS may have introduced changes or updates since my last knowledge update in September 2021, so the steps provided here are based on the features available up to that time.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2023 9:46 PM in response to SpongeBlob

1. Open a Finder Window:
  2. Open a Finder window and navigate to the folder or location you want to work with.
  3. Open the File Dialog Box:
  4. Open the file dialog box in an application (e.g., when you're trying to open or save a file).
  5. Use the Proxy Icon:
  6. In the Finder window you previously opened, locate the proxy icon at the top center of the Finder window. The proxy icon is the small icon next to the folder's name in the title bar of the Finder window.
  7. Drag Proxy Icon to the Dialog Box:
  8. Click and drag the proxy icon from the Finder window to the file dialog box. Drop it onto the file path or directly into the file dialog's file list area.
  9. When you drop the proxy icon into the file dialog, the dialog box will navigate to the location of the dragged proxy icon in the Finder window. This allows you to easily navigate to the same location in the dialog box as the Finder window.
  10. Access Files and Save/Select:
  11. You should now see the files and folders from the location you dragged the proxy icon from. You can access the files and select or save as needed.

This feature is designed to provide a convenient way to navigate between Finder windows and open file dialog boxes, ensuring that you can easily access the files you need without manually navigating through the dialog box. It's worth noting that not all applications may support this feature, but it works well with most standard macOS file dialog boxes.

Keep in mind that macOS may have introduced changes or updates since my last knowledge update in September 2021, so the steps provided here are based on the features available up to that time.

Navigate to an open window from a dialog box?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.