Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I quickly navigate to a folder path that I have on the clipboard in Open File dialogs?

Hello,

I am new to MacOS.

On Windows, I got used to easily change to a folder path that I previously copied to the clipboard in any file open dialog. How can I do it in MacOS (Mojave / Catalina)?

E.g.

1) I copied a folder path to clipboard in Commander One, e.g.:

/Users/myname/Library/Application Support/Firefox

2) Then I go to Text Edit > Open... and want to change to the path I have on the clipboard at once (e.g. /Users/myname/Library/Application Support/Firefox/) in the Open File dialog:

Thanks a lot in advance!

P.S. Please do not advise to open the file from the folder itself. I am seeking for a solution I can use even if I e.g. need to upload a file to a website in Safari, so I will have an Open File dialog there as well and I want to navigate to the folder on the clipboard at one.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 8:51 AM

Shift Command G in the Finder. Here you can copy and paste complete path:

This is a short cut from the drop down:

Finder>Go>Go to Folder

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

Use the Dock on Mac - Apple Support

4 replies

Jan 16, 2020 1:22 AM in response to GyozoK

As others have commented there's nothing that will exactly mirror your experience on Windows.

However there are alternatives.

1 - When in an open-save dialog box, go back to the Finder and drag the file or folder you want to go to, into the open-save dialog box - it will then jump to that file or folder.

2 - There's an app called 'Default Folder X' that adds lots of options to open-save dialog boxes, one of which is a drop down that shows your current open Finder windows, which I find very useful.

Jan 15, 2020 8:56 AM in response to GyozoK

The NSOpenPanel framework behind the Open/Save panels of applications on macOS has no provision for pasting a file or folder path from the clipboard and act on that path. That is why these panels offer different panel views for direct selection of files and folders.

If you want to go to a folder path on macOS, then use the Finder's available Go To Folder (shift+command+G), and paste the folder path in that dialog.

The POSIX style path that you illustrated works in the second paragraph solution, but otherwise has no meaning to the Finder, but does in the Terminal.

Jan 15, 2020 8:58 PM in response to GyozoK

Hi.

Is this what you're looking for?:

Option+Right-click on the file or folder you wish to copy the path...

then select Copy "filename/foldername" as Pathname.

From there you'll have the path in the clipboard and you can paste it wherever you need it.

I'd screenshot it for you, but the Option key is otherwise engaged when trying to demo this. 😉

How can I quickly navigate to a folder path that I have on the clipboard in Open File dialogs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.