Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I insert a micro SD Card into my Apple iPad Gen 8

I have a micro SD card in my Acer tablet, I want to insert it into my iPad Gen 8. Can I insert it anywhere or do I have to find a way to port over the info on the micro SD card into my iPad Gen 8?

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 9:14 AM

You just need an adapter:

• Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MJYT2ZM/A

9 replies

Nov 23, 2021 9:21 AM in response to PEGGIE47

iPads 8th gen wifi+cellular model support nano SIM cards (not micro) and the SIM card must be a "data only" card.

That said, see this support article to locate where the nano SIM card should be inserted:--> Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPad - Apple Support

If you mean something different, please better explain your needs.

Regards

Giulio

Nov 23, 2021 10:59 AM in response to LotusPilot

Okay, I think I have one of those. So I could remove the micro SD card from the Acer tablet, put it in the Micro SD Card Carrier, then put THAT into the SD card adaptor and plug it into my iPad, to transfer what's on the micro SD Card to the iPad?? The files on the MICRO SD card are audio files (books that are read out loud). Will that work or can I only use "data only", as the other reader suggested?

Nov 23, 2021 11:38 AM in response to PEGGIE47

Yes. Insert the microSD into the carrier - and the SD carrier into the Lightning to SD Card Adapter - and you’re ready.

Don’t worry about the DataSIM mentioned by Giulio. Your question about microSD was misunderstood, being interpreted as a question about a Cellular SIM card - this being a common query in the iPad Support Communities.

Nov 23, 2021 11:56 AM in response to LotusPilot

Okay, one more question now. The files on my Micro SD Card are Audio files. Books that were read out loud and recorded to the Micro SD Card. Will this still work using the Adaptor I was told to get or is that adaptor only for videos and photos? The description of the Lightning to SD adaptor states that it is a Camera Reader, doesn't say anything about audiobooks.

Nov 23, 2021 2:15 PM in response to PEGGIE47

The SD Card adapter will allow you to copy files of any compatible type between the SD card and iPad - be they photo, video, audio, data, documents or otherwise.

As with all external storage media, the storage must be formatted correctly. For SD, the card will be formatted as FAT32 or exFAT.

As for your audio files, you make no mention of the audio file type, but as long as you have an App capable of playing the audio file, you’ll be fine.

How do I insert a micro SD Card into my Apple iPad Gen 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.