Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpected shutdown

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro which has recently started shutting down with a Panic Report when I'm using it for video calls (Meet, Teams, Zoom etc). It was running Mojave at the time. The local Genius Bar did a lot of tests and found no hardware issues, but did find a battery firmware fault so they wiped the whole drive and installed Monterey. The shutdown is still happening, maybe 20/30 mins into a call. I notice that as soon as a call is started, the CPU usage goes off the scale (well over 100%) and has reached 200% before the Mac decides enough is enough! So I suspect something to do with the camera software.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice, as during the pandemic online meetings have been a life-saver.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 9:50 AM

Contact Apple Support and discuss this with them. Faults can be transient, and (for instance) due to heating, and a busy GPU can get warm. Both of the MacBook Pro 13” 2017 models use integrated graphics, so switching GPUs isn’t a potential workaround here.

Similar questions

1 reply

Unexpected shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.