Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes install fails. Previous verson installed that will not uninstall.

I'm pulling my feathers out over this. I have removed every reference to apple or iTunes from the registry. I have deleted all the folders that referenced them. And it still won't install. It comes up with the same error about a previous version must be removed. Any ideas on how to remove it?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 10:40 AM

Hello. If you haven't already, I would suggest following the removal steps in the article here. If uninstalling via the Windows Control Panel doesn't work, or traces of iTunes still remain, you can try the manual removal steps under "Make sure that iTunes and its related components are completely uninstalled." After following these steps, restart your computer and try installing the latest version of iTunes again.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2021 10:40 AM in response to CaliforniaCondor

Hello. If you haven't already, I would suggest following the removal steps in the article here. If uninstalling via the Windows Control Panel doesn't work, or traces of iTunes still remain, you can try the manual removal steps under "Make sure that iTunes and its related components are completely uninstalled." After following these steps, restart your computer and try installing the latest version of iTunes again.

Nov 23, 2021 12:30 PM in response to Latranner

Thank you for your response. I did follow the instructions in the link you provided and found a couple of apple directories that still existed. I removed everything apple related.

However, no joy.

I wish that I could get inside the head of an iTunes programmer. I would love to know what their finding that tells them there is, and where, an older version is installed.

Nov 23, 2021 1:08 PM in response to CaliforniaCondor

Hello. It sounds like there are still some traces of iTunes somewhere on your system then. You may want to double-check your install directories and Windows registry to see if there are any traces of iTunes still there. Alternatively, you could use a Windows uninstaller program or cleaner to remove any leftover portions of iTunes to see if this resolves the issue. In addition to this, it may be worthwhile to contact Apple Support for additional assistance regarding this issue, as they may have further suggestions of their own.

iTunes install fails. Previous verson installed that will not uninstall.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.