You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max external Monitors and Accessories

I just received my new MacBook and am trying to figure out what all I am going to need to hook up external monitors. I don't have fancy monitors. They are just AOC USB-powered portable monitors with Full HD 1920x1080 IPS. I was hoping to have this all figured out before I got my shipment but since this is a new model I haven't been able to find much info. Am I able to use a USB-A to USB-C adapter like the one shown below and just plug it in? Or is there something special I have to do? Also, is it possible to use a splitter (below) for my other accessories? I put all my $$ into the computer so I am not able to upgrade stuff like my mouse and external keyboard yet. Those are still plug-in USB-A. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 4:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 5:16 PM

Apple MacBook Pro M1 Max 16-in has three USB-C ports.

To run any display with a USB input, you would use a USB-C to USB-C cable, (but do NOT attempt to use the Charge-ONLY cable from the power adapter, as it does not have high-speed data pathways).

USB-A cables/connectors can NOT run displays -- those cables are not intended for the higher speed required for displays.

if you have any USB-C to USB-A adapter, that can be used to run your older USB-A keyboard. Wireless keyboard is also supported. You paid dearly for the large and beautiful nearly 4K display. Simply don't close the display and enjoy both the built-in display and your external display. These can be arranged into an extended desktop, and the support in MacOS is available to all well-crafted Mac software.

Looks like this:

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 23, 2021 5:16 PM in response to Kurlelle

Apple MacBook Pro M1 Max 16-in has three USB-C ports.

To run any display with a USB input, you would use a USB-C to USB-C cable, (but do NOT attempt to use the Charge-ONLY cable from the power adapter, as it does not have high-speed data pathways).

USB-A cables/connectors can NOT run displays -- those cables are not intended for the higher speed required for displays.

if you have any USB-C to USB-A adapter, that can be used to run your older USB-A keyboard. Wireless keyboard is also supported. You paid dearly for the large and beautiful nearly 4K display. Simply don't close the display and enjoy both the built-in display and your external display. These can be arranged into an extended desktop, and the support in MacOS is available to all well-crafted Mac software.

Looks like this:

Nov 24, 2021 9:27 AM in response to Kurlelle

Those portable displays are a special case. They use DisplayLink technology, which creates a "fake" display buffer in RAM, sends the data out over a slower interface to a stunt box with DisplayLink custom chips that put that data back onto a "legacy" interface.  It is not a true "accelerated" display, and it can suffer from lagging. Just adding the DisplayLink Driver is not adequate to get a picture -- you need a DisplayLink "stunt-box" or a Dock (or in this case, the display itself) that includes DisplayLink chips,

They would interface to your new Mac using a USB-C (computer-end) to USB-A shaped USB-3 capable cable. These typically have a blue insert, but that is not a requirement. what IS a requirement is that the cables be capable of USB-3 speeds, and have all nine conductors present:

Dec 5, 2021 11:34 AM in response to Kurlelle

You don't need that Hardware, it wants to push HDMI ports (which you can't use) in your face. Look for "USB Hub" with a USB-C connection to the computer and you will do better. here is an example for US$13.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Syntech-Adapter-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Chromebook/dp/B08THLZ4K9/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=USB-3+hub+USB-C&qid=1638732440&s=electronics&sr=1-3

You need simply:

• a way to plug in a USB-A shaped connectors to a Mac with USB-C ports.

• a DisplayLink Driver for MacOS, if the maker has not already provided one. That driver is available free from the DisplayLink web site.

Nov 23, 2021 8:11 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for the info. My external screens came with USB-A cables for their connection to the computer (unless they are USB 3.0 and I don’t realize it). I have 2 external screens that I would use in conjunction with my MacBook screen (not in lieu of). I need 3 screens for my job. So are you saying that my external screens that only have a USB-A port are not going to work?

Dec 5, 2021 7:52 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Is this what you are referring to... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P5GXPHH?m=A1S1ZGDUBXJHU5&ref=clp_pc_a_A3518APATB3Z0W

I am not sure I know exactly what I am looking for. Also, trying to figure out if it is worth just buying new monitors. They have to be portable which is why I was hoping to just use what I already have but don't want to keep spending money if it's not gonna work right. What are your thoughts?

MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max external Monitors and Accessories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.