Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor for 2017 MacBook Air

What monitors/what adaptors/what connections do I need to use an external monitor with my 13" 2017 MacBook Air?

I've been working with Best Buy but have yet to make any combination work. I do not have a USB-C.

Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 8:24 PM

Thunderbolt

These Mac models have Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 ports:

Use these ports with displays and other devices that connect using a Thunderbolt  cable.

Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 are not the same as Mini DisplayPort . They have the same shape, but use different symbols on the cable and port. However, this port does support Mini DisplayPort for video output, so you can use a Mini DisplayPort cable to connect a Mini DisplayPort display.

What is the connector type on the end of the monitor cable?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 8:24 PM in response to mariainva

Thunderbolt

These Mac models have Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 ports:

Use these ports with displays and other devices that connect using a Thunderbolt  cable.

Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 are not the same as Mini DisplayPort . They have the same shape, but use different symbols on the cable and port. However, this port does support Mini DisplayPort for video output, so you can use a Mini DisplayPort cable to connect a Mini DisplayPort display.

What is the connector type on the end of the monitor cable?

Feb 12, 2021 8:48 PM in response to mariainva

mariainva Said:

"External monitor for 2017 MacBook Air What monitors/what adaptors/what connections do I need to use an external monitor with my 13" 2017 MacBook Air? I've been working with Best Buy but have yet to make any combination work. I do not have a USB-C. Thanks"

-------

What to Try:

If an Apple CinemaDisplay, then perform as instructed here: Configuring a USB-C Only Mac with a 30-Inch Apple Cinema Display - User Tip

Feb 12, 2021 9:37 PM in response to deggie

deggie Said:

"In your copy of the OPs quote it said this: "I do not have a USB-C. Thanks": Your link is for connect to a Mac with ONLY USB-C. Since they are looking at Best Buy to get a monitor it is highly unlikely they are buying a 30-inch Apple Cinema Display. Or any Apple Cinema Display for that matter."

-------

Didn't Close the Tab:

Had the tab open a bit to long to see the rest of it authored. Oops!

Feb 13, 2021 4:52 PM in response to deggie

Hi, they sent me a Displayport Adapter with:

DisplayPort (20 pin) Male Latching

and

DVI-I (29-pin) Female

Neither connect to the HDMI cord nor the monitor.

Also - should the MacBook Air recognize when a monitor is connected? Do, if it was working, in System Preferences in Display would I see it? (I did not when I used the HDMI cable and HDMI/USB adaptor) OR is there some setting or command I must provide to tell the laptop that there is a monitor attached?

If I can't resolve this by tomorrow evening's appointment with the Geek Squad, I'll look at buying a PC and stop using Apple. Apple doesn't seem to have an external monitor option, and it's very difficult to get non-Apple people to help.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide

Feb 13, 2021 5:27 PM in response to mariainva

That answers what adapter you are using but does not answer what the cable connecting to the External monitor is. I asked once, the cable that goes from the external monitor on one end plugged into the monitor, what type of connector is on the other end.

I'm currently using a second monitor and I just got through setting up a second monitor for my sister, it was an old monitor that someone left with me. Yes, the Air will detect the second monitor and you can go to Settings > Display to set it up once it is connected. I also use an iPad sometimes as a 2nd monitor. However if you want to buy a PC that is your choice, I don't really give a whit what type of device you use. Just be sure to factor in the cost of the antivirus/antimalware/antispyware charges in your purchase.

External monitor for 2017 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.