Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bit Defender installed as system

Hi, I am trying to rid myself of Bitdefender and cannot delete the Bitdefender in folder in Library/Application Support It has been installed with system only access. I never gave it this level of access, it was installed as admin. How do I deinstall the folder - I could go in as sudo but I am not very conversant with the command line so help would be appreciated. BTW I am deinstalling because my Bitdefender folder(this one ) was accessed this Sunday and I guess (?????) it was Bitdefender because the widget has disappeared from the tool bar. As a final question -- is there a reliable Virus checker you can use on a Mac as I often use it to check imported zip files and I like to check before opening.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 2:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 3:48 PM

This may have something to do with it:

Bitdefender operates at a higher level than administrative account access.

You have Open Firmware passwords, T2 chip passwords, you have hard drive passwords enabled through filevault, and then you have passwords for administrative access. In an ideal world they would all unlock each other at once, but some people use different passwords for each. Complicating matters more is your Mac.com email can be used to unlock Macs set to allow that.

Speak to Bitdefender which model is their basis for access, and which password actually controls it. Bitdefender itself usually is a lengthy key.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2021 3:48 PM in response to Crag_rat

This may have something to do with it:

Bitdefender operates at a higher level than administrative account access.

You have Open Firmware passwords, T2 chip passwords, you have hard drive passwords enabled through filevault, and then you have passwords for administrative access. In an ideal world they would all unlock each other at once, but some people use different passwords for each. Complicating matters more is your Mac.com email can be used to unlock Macs set to allow that.

Speak to Bitdefender which model is their basis for access, and which password actually controls it. Bitdefender itself usually is a lengthy key.

Nov 24, 2021 4:41 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi thanks for your reply. I have followed these instructions but when I get to entering my admin password it gets rejected -- " not authorised". on looking at folder permissions it shows the Bitdefender folder permissions are set to system only. I know I could get limited access to Root by using sudo to delete the folder but I also know I could do some damage if I miss keyed etc. I have used unix (Sun systems) along time ago so I am a little out of date and I was hoping for a little advice on the best way in to do this.

Bit Defender installed as system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.