Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update older version of iMovie

Hi, just upgraded my MacBook Air to macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and found that I need to update iMovie also. Since the newest update of iMovie in the App Store requires macOS 11.15.1 or later, I need to update it to the older version (it pops up in the update). But after I click "download", the pop-up keeps showing instead of downloading the older version of iMovie. Is there any particular reason why it keeps showing the pop-up even after I click "download" many times? Thank you.

ps: I cannot upgrade to the latest OS due to the storage issue

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 4:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 12:28 PM

If it's just a storage issue, try moving off some of your data to an external drive.

Otherwise, assuming that you are trying to update an older version of iMovie 10 and not iMovie 9, try this procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. (NOTE: For El Capitan and older, click on the Purchases tab at the top of the app store screen and then sign in. Click on Purchases again to reveal your purchases.)  You

will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2021 12:28 PM in response to fp0606

If it's just a storage issue, try moving off some of your data to an external drive.

Otherwise, assuming that you are trying to update an older version of iMovie 10 and not iMovie 9, try this procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. (NOTE: For El Capitan and older, click on the Purchases tab at the top of the app store screen and then sign in. Click on Purchases again to reveal your purchases.)  You

will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Cannot update older version of iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.