Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie will not update

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro. I purchased iMovie in 2014. I have been working on a video project that required an update of the operating system to X El Captain Version 10.11.6 in order to use some software to convert VHS tapes to digital files. I upgraded and then iMovie would not work. It said that I needed to update. In the app store when I click update for iMovie, it just spins and nothing happens. I have a project I was working on in iMovie and now I cannot access it at all. How do I update iMovie so that it will work again with this new operating system? Thank you

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 6:03 PM

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. For El Capitan and older, click on the Purchases tab at the top of the online app store screen and then sign in. Click on Purchases again to reveal your purchases.  You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2022 6:03 PM in response to dob2882

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. For El Capitan and older, click on the Purchases tab at the top of the online app store screen and then sign in. Click on Purchases again to reveal your purchases.  You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Feb 18, 2022 9:09 PM in response to dob2882

No. All your data is stored in the iMovie library, not the app. The newly down loaded iMovie will refer to your old library to access your projects and media. Just don’t delete the iMovie library.

The new down load may initially open in a new blank iMovie library. If it does, open your old library to get back to your projects and media.

— Rich

iMovie will not update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.