Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset backup password!!

I got a new iphone, but I forget the backup password. I am not able to restore everything to my new phone. I try the steps of the Apple support on the website to reset the password, it doesn’t work.

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 10:26 AM

While you may be able to clear the password from iTunes or Finder, you will never be able to use an encrypted backup unless you remember the password. Without that password, the backup is useless. Apple has no access to the password, so they cannot help. Follow the steps here, About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support, to be able to clear iTunes or Finder and then you can make new backups with a password you can remember or write down.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2021 10:26 AM in response to ConanTheWho

While you may be able to clear the password from iTunes or Finder, you will never be able to use an encrypted backup unless you remember the password. Without that password, the backup is useless. Apple has no access to the password, so they cannot help. Follow the steps here, About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support, to be able to clear iTunes or Finder and then you can make new backups with a password you can remember or write down.

Nov 24, 2021 11:28 AM in response to ConanTheWho

As I said, you cannot remove the password from the encrypted backup. If you cannot remember that password, you cannot use that backup. Resetting only allows you to create a non-encrypted backup in the future. You must not have understood the support document completely. Without the password being entered, that backup cannot be used, period.

Nov 24, 2021 12:17 PM in response to ConanTheWho

The ability to change the password is after you have followed all of the steps. That is done in iTunes. After you reset network settings, did you try to create a new backup as instructed? That is where you would set a new password, or turn off encryption all together. You cannot change the password by clicking on change because you cannot remember the old one. You have to click on the encryption and create a backup and it will ask you for a new password. You need to follow the steps in the support document to create the new backup with a new password. You cannot use the backup that has the password on it that you cannot remember. That backup is useless to you now, it is locked.

Nov 24, 2021 12:20 PM in response to ConanTheWho

ConanTheWho wrote:

but after I reset the network settings, I connect to iTunes, It didn’t show anything about create new password, so I click the change password, it ask the old one, then the new password and verify password. I confused this step. I already forgot the password, how can I change it.

Your forgotten password is the key to decrypt the data that you want to restore.

Which means you cannot restore that data.

You can create a new backup with a new password, and transfer that.

You cannot do anything with those existing backups, until and unless you can remember the password.

Nov 25, 2021 6:35 AM in response to ConanTheWho

ConanTheWho wrote:

Same!!!! I did what do you tell me. But it did change, they doesn’t have create new password option.

I told you why you needed the password, and that you could re-generate a new backup with a new password.

If that’s not working, please tell us what happened when you re-generated a new backup, and tried to restore from that.

Reset backup password!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.