Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grey Bars in Screen Time Activity Report

I’m trying to understand what apps were being used this morning between midnight at 2:59am

As you can see, TikTok accounts for 3 hours today. But no other apps account for any appreciable amount of time.

What apps account for these three hours of early morning activity?

Thank you.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 12:06 PM

Erica:

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃

Yes, I've read the pages you referenced before posting this question.

As I understand, the grey bars are supposed to refer to activity with apps or websites which are in categories other than the three most active categories. In this case, that would mean that the grey bars in the first three hours of the day represent activity in categories other than:

1. Social
  2. Entertainment
  3. Creativity

But look at the activity attributed to apps or websites after the first and second ones, namely, TikTok and Snapchat. Clearly, TikTok and Snapchat are in the Social category (represented by blue bars) and therefore not included in the three first grey bars.

Looking further down the list of apps and websites: none amounts to more 9 minutes of activity! So, how could these apps and websites starting with Netflix and continuing on down, amount (in the aggregate) to the all the hours and hours of time represented by grey bars?

With the blue bars already accounting for all the major uses of time, what in the world are the apps and websites that make up the time represented by the grey bars? Can you give a hint how to figure this out?

Thank you for reading this and enjoy your Thanksgiving.

- nello

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2021 12:06 PM in response to Erica_S1

Erica:

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃

Yes, I've read the pages you referenced before posting this question.

As I understand, the grey bars are supposed to refer to activity with apps or websites which are in categories other than the three most active categories. In this case, that would mean that the grey bars in the first three hours of the day represent activity in categories other than:

1. Social
  2. Entertainment
  3. Creativity

But look at the activity attributed to apps or websites after the first and second ones, namely, TikTok and Snapchat. Clearly, TikTok and Snapchat are in the Social category (represented by blue bars) and therefore not included in the three first grey bars.

Looking further down the list of apps and websites: none amounts to more 9 minutes of activity! So, how could these apps and websites starting with Netflix and continuing on down, amount (in the aggregate) to the all the hours and hours of time represented by grey bars?

With the blue bars already accounting for all the major uses of time, what in the world are the apps and websites that make up the time represented by the grey bars? Can you give a hint how to figure this out?

Thank you for reading this and enjoy your Thanksgiving.

- nello

Nov 25, 2021 10:01 AM in response to Nello Lucchesi

Hi there Nello Lucchesi,

We understand you have a question about the gray bars in your Screen Time graph.

The gray time frames would be usage by apps not in the color-coded categories.

Learn more here: Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you have Share Across Devices enabled, check to see if this usage was device-specific.

Cheers!

Grey Bars in Screen Time Activity Report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.