Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Screen Time App Limits keep disappearing

Why does this screen time and app limits functionality not work? The ones I set are over-written, even tho I have block app turned on, half of the time they disappear and I have to restart the list. What is going on?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 9:11 PM

100% same exact problem here! Apple, please fix this glitch! All my kids have to do is push the one more minute option, and boom, 8 hr a day on Instagram just like that. I have reset the app time limits like 20 times now and it is getting very tiresome.

This bug has made parental controls completely useless. Please fix so they work as they are supposed to!

148 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2023 9:11 PM in response to ekalp

100% same exact problem here! Apple, please fix this glitch! All my kids have to do is push the one more minute option, and boom, 8 hr a day on Instagram just like that. I have reset the app time limits like 20 times now and it is getting very tiresome.

This bug has made parental controls completely useless. Please fix so they work as they are supposed to!

Feb 9, 2024 3:25 PM in response to swissschokolade

I’ve confirmed that this issue is caused by kids pressing “one more minute”. i’ve tested enough to know it’s the exact cause. i’ve just told my kids not to press it and if i see app limits off, i know they did and get less time next time. i’m not a conspiracy theorist typically but there might be something about not wanting to restrict the largest phone user group (teens)

Jan 2, 2023 4:08 PM in response to swissschokolade

Same issue on multiple devices. Seems the app limits all disappear if the one more minute feature is used. This has been happening since iOS 16, and has persisted through 16.2.

I’ve tried disabling it entirely and set it up again and again. Along with adding the app limits back. Each time they use the One More Minute option, boom the app limits are gone.

Jan 3, 2023 1:43 AM in response to ekalp

Interesting. I opened a service ticket with apple yesterday and talked to an Apple Support Agent. I was told the screen time settings are always stored in the Family Organizer Roles iCloud Account.

In my case, thats my wife. So I deactivated everything screen time with her account on her device for the kids and configured everything from scratch. Seems to work, but after a couple of minutes, settings are lost again.

So it seems like, if its true what the Apple Agent said, that there is a problem to store the settings permanentely in the family organizer screen time settings and therefore the config is not available on the kids devices.

Will try the one minute more option though. Thanks for the tip!

Jun 26, 2023 12:37 AM in response to g_cms

Since iOS 16.5 i don't have the problem anymore.

That's what i've done:

• I've placed all devices from my family on the table and updated them to the latest iOS, iPadOS and macOS
  • Deleted all app limits, so that it looked like default
  • Changed the device names to unique names (settings -> general -> info)
  • restarted all devices
  • reconfigured app limits at one device, waited around 10 minutes and checked if they were correctly transferred to the other devices

Since ive done these steps the app limits are working perfect.

Dec 3, 2022 4:08 PM in response to swissschokolade

Hello swissschokolade,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We're happy to look into this with you. We understand that you're having issues with Screen Time and app limits. Would you tell us what iOS version you're using? This is in Settings > General > About.

If this issue appeared after a recent update or changes to your device, have you tried deleting your current settings and setting them up again? If not, this is a good place to start working towards fixing this issue.

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you continue to experience issues, contacting Apple Support for additional help may be your best option. You can reach them directly at Get Support.

Best regards.

Screen Time App Limits keep disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.