Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hide unwanted Mailboxes in Mailbox List

I use Apple Mail primarily because it allows me to use multiple mail accounts all in one place. Prior to Big Sur, when you added a mailbox (inbox, Sent, Junk, Drafts, Trash, Archive) to the All grouping, it did not appear separately in the list of mailboxes for that account. Now they appear in both places. This means an extra 5+ mailboxes listed in each of the account groupings which wastes value space in the Mailboxes sidebar.

Is there a way to hide the mailboxes under the individual account groupings?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 1:41 PM

I can do that. Here is my present Mail window. Note, that I have the All (Inboxes, Sent, Junk, Trash, Drafts) under Favorites, but they are also under the other accounts. Those extra 5 mailboxes under each account are not useful and take up space in the sidebar.

14 replies

Nov 24, 2021 1:39 PM in response to Roger Roach

Roger Roach wrote:

That is not exactly what I was looking for. Yes, I can use the caret to hide, say, the list of inboxes and I generally do that. What I am trying to hide is all the inboxes also listed under each account. I have 4 accounts, so I have an "All inboxes" that is generally closed, but can be opened if I want to check the inbox from a particular account. The problem is that I also have in Inbox under each account along with all of their sub mailboxes. It amounts to an extra 5 mailboxes being listed under each account which I am not using and would like to hide.

Maybe a screen shot would help to better understand what it is you can not accomplish.

here is my example:

Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac - Apple Support

Post a screen shot:

Nov 24, 2021 2:16 PM in response to Roger Roach

Roger Roach wrote:

Yes, I do that, but when I have onc account open, there are still the extra 5 mailboxes and sometimes I need to work on two accounts and then there are 10 redundant mailboxes which push most of the second account's mailboxes off the bottom. I can more the sidebar up and down, but I did not have do that with Catalina and prefer the old ways.

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version

https://support.apple.com/en-lamr/guide/mac-help/mh15216/10.15/mac/10.15

Erase and reinstall macOS - Apple Support - https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/erase-and-reinstall-macos-mh27903/mac

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

This would require you have a back up from pre-upgrade

Restore your Mac from a backup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

Nov 24, 2021 12:51 PM in response to Roger Roach

Roger Roach wrote:

I use Apple Mail primarily because it allows me to use multiple mail accounts all in one place. Prior to Big Sur, when you added a mailbox (inbox, Sent, Junk, Drafts, Trash, Archive) to the All grouping, it did not appear separately in the list of mailboxes for that account. Now they appear in both places. This means an extra 5+ mailboxes listed in each of the account groupings which wastes value space in the Mailboxes sidebar.

Is there a way to hide the mailboxes under the individual account groupings?

You can spin the carrot to show itemized list—if they are showing in your Favorites All Inboxes. This is not an issue

You can Control Click a mailbox to remove or delete any mailbox

Nov 24, 2021 2:08 PM in response to Roger Roach

Roger Roach wrote:

Thank you. This was a change from Catalina and I was hoping there was a trick to hide them, but I am concluding that there isn't. Putting all 60-80 mailboxes in Favorites would hamper the way I like to work when I am working on direct accounts. I appreciate all the attempts to help.

Can you not simply move your mouse to the right side and hide all that list—if that is the goal—flip the carrot?

Nov 24, 2021 1:08 PM in response to leroydouglas

That is not exactly what I was looking for. Yes, I can use the caret to hide, say, the list of inboxes and I generally do that. What I am trying to hide is all the inboxes also listed under each account. I have 4 accounts, so I have an "All inboxes" that is generally closed, but can be opened if I want to check the inbox from a particular account. The problem is that I also have in Inbox under each account along with all of their sub mailboxes. It amounts to an extra 5 mailboxes being listed under each account which I am not using and would like to hide.

Nov 24, 2021 2:11 PM in response to leroydouglas

Yes, I do that, but when I have onc account open, there are still the extra 5 mailboxes and sometimes I need to work on two accounts and then there are 10 redundant mailboxes which push most of the second account's mailboxes off the bottom. I can more the sidebar up and down, but I did not have do that with Catalina and prefer the old ways.

Nov 24, 2021 2:25 PM in response to leroydouglas

Well, Catalina had its problems too. I have a MacBook 16" Pro and with Catalina it was crashing (locked up with spinning beachball) several times a day. Diagnostics did not find anything, I reloaded the OS from scratch and still had the problem. It also happened to a colleague who said it went away when moving to Big Sur, so that is what I did and it worked! Now if you can tell me how to get the old Apple Mail to work on Big Sur, I would be interested.

Hide unwanted Mailboxes in Mailbox List

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.