Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I trade in my phone at the store instead of mailing it to receive the trade in credit? I already received my new phone.

I picked the mail in option for trade in and received my phone. After reading bad reviews of the mail in option, I would like to trade in at the store instead. Is that still possible?

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 7:52 PM

Don't listen to muguy. On Nov 27th, my husband was on the phone with Apple Support regarding the email he received about his 11 Pro Max trade-in having a defective camera and the reduction of his refund from $500 to $125. His camera worked perfectly when he mailed it back! He offered to send them photos he'd taken with it the day before he switched phones. They opened a ticket to investigate this questionable tactic by the 3rd party company. He told the Apple rep that my 11 Pro had just been packed up and I didn't want to mail it to this company. He told my husband to take it into the Apple Store, and not to mail it in. Within an hour, he received an email saying he would be receiving the FULL refund to his credit card.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2021 7:52 PM in response to muguy

Don't listen to muguy. On Nov 27th, my husband was on the phone with Apple Support regarding the email he received about his 11 Pro Max trade-in having a defective camera and the reduction of his refund from $500 to $125. His camera worked perfectly when he mailed it back! He offered to send them photos he'd taken with it the day before he switched phones. They opened a ticket to investigate this questionable tactic by the 3rd party company. He told the Apple rep that my 11 Pro had just been packed up and I didn't want to mail it to this company. He told my husband to take it into the Apple Store, and not to mail it in. Within an hour, he received an email saying he would be receiving the FULL refund to his credit card.

Feb 2, 2022 7:24 AM in response to muguy

muguy wrote:

That's wholly different. You can trade-in at the store too. But if you elect mail-in, you complete that process.

Absolutely not true. I chose the trade in option the last two years at time of online purchase. And the last two years (after verifying with Apple directly), I successfully, without any issues at all, traded my phone in at the Apple Store directly and received my credit on the spot.

It is NOT required anyone complete the trade through the mail if they would rather do the trade in the store. What would be really helpful is if Apple updated the order process to let one purchase the phone online and choose store trade in. It would eliminate receiving a trade in kit, which in my case, the last two years, went in the recycle bin.

Dec 25, 2021 5:57 AM in response to Petersbae

Same thing happened to me. However i ordered mine through the phone plan with Verizon (not sure if you also did it with a phone carrier). I have 2 lines. One i did with apple (as mentioned) and one i did with verizon. Once i received both phones, i went to verizon to let them know i did not recieve a box to return my old phone from verizon OR APPLE. They looked at my order with apple and said it was ok they would return both phones for me. Keep in mind, i did keep asking if i should go to apple for the line i ordered through them. they said no, it's ok. That was in November. Today i'm being charged the trade in credit by apple because they didn't recieve my phone. so now i have to call to see if i can get my money back because i did return it... i just returned it with Verizon :(. If you didn't get the trade-in kit, just go back to the store. They'll most likely give it you smh.

Jan 1, 2022 6:28 AM in response to adrianne244

I am glad that you chose that way; since I just got ripped off sending in trade-in device via mail.

Apple has been sending me an email saying that my trade-in value has been reduced from $600 to $100 because the serial number did NOT match. I contacted and spoke with agents and found out that they have iphone 8 instead of iphone 12 pro (which I mailed in) and they have no way of finding out. Out of no where, I became one of those terrible customers who are making things up to get more money. I have an empty box of iphone 12 sitting next to me with serial number and everything and apple billing showing that I purchased that phone only like barely a year ago... I AM ANGRY. it seems like the customer service person ended up cancelling the trade in without my permission and agreement and now they are sending me back my device (i am assuming me iphone 8). This is very disappointing with how apple is managing this! one of my friends' friend also experienced the same thing and they were not really willing to work with her either so she had to pay everything in full price.

Jan 16, 2022 12:31 PM in response to adrianne244

I completed an online trade-in for a MacBook. After numerous fails to reinstall macOS after deleting the device, I took it to the store and received full trade-in value.

As you probably read in the "Your trade-in has been initiated." email you received from Apple,

Your estimated trade-in value is valid for 14 days after you receive your trade-in kit.

Therefore, if you do not mail it back it within 14 days, and you did not buy a new device in that same transaction, that specific offer and trade-in order number will be void.

Based on my experience, I would say, yes you can take your online trade-in to the store.

Feb 2, 2022 6:49 AM in response to adrianne244

Do not trade in by mail- I did and Apple damaged the phone claiming it arrived like that-

I sent in a perfect phone iPhone XS-went to Apple store first to buy new phone, they looked at my phone and I was going to get $220 refund but they had no iphone 13–

so had to do it by mail-NEVER AGAIN- their customer support ppl give you canned, sympathetic answers, feigning concern-what a bunch of crap-

but zero explanation of how my phone was damaged-they sent photos of a phone which was dropped and the corner cracked on front and back-but no, they did not do that damage, I did—and no they have no photos of the phone when the box was opened.

They are like take it or leave it- their lip service is worse than Mitch McConnell and Nancy pelosi combined with wet drooling lips.

Feb 2, 2022 6:57 AM in response to ClarissaC88

Good luck with that- Apple employees will give you canned responses b/c Apple will not even consider they are at fault-they are scum. I sent in a perfect phone meaning no damage they send me a photo of a phone dropped on its edge with damage to both sides of the phone- front glass and back. But no… no one dropped that phone upon opening the return box….nope…not them.

can I trade in my phone at the store instead of mailing it to receive the trade in credit? I already received my new phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.