Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer to New iPhone

I bought a new iPhone and the photos from my old iPhone just came to the new one, how to remove them without losing them? and I want to use the same apple id and without turning off the iCloud I want my new photos to go to the iCloud as well

thank you

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 8:53 PM

1. You want to use the same Apple ID for your new iPhone
  2. You want to use the same iCloud account on your new iPhone
  3. You also want to use iCloud for Photos for your new pictures on your new iPhone
  4. You do not want to lose any pictures
  5. YOU DO NOT WANT THE PHOTOS FROM YOUR OLD iPHONE ON YOUR NEW iPHONE.

You can do all the things mentioned in points 1 through 4. Point 5 is an issue. iCloud for Photos acts as a synching service. It will synch all the photos across all your devices that are signed on with the same Apple ID. This is why you are seeing the photos from your old iPhone on your new iPhone.

You do not want the photos from your old iPhone to your new iPhone. Is this because you are trying to save space on your new iPhone and therefore only concerned about saving new photos? If YES, then I would like you to look into ➔ How to Optimize Space on your iPhone by using iCloud. If you like what you will read, then you can have all the pics on your new iPhone without worrying about space.

The other option is to ➔ Export all your current photos on iCloud to your computer or an external drive and save them there. After that is done, then delete all photos on iCloud before bringing on your new iPhone to iCloud. This will start iCloud for Photos as new and iCloud will begin syncing all your new photos taken with your new iPhone only.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2021 8:53 PM in response to 100Asma

1. You want to use the same Apple ID for your new iPhone
  2. You want to use the same iCloud account on your new iPhone
  3. You also want to use iCloud for Photos for your new pictures on your new iPhone
  4. You do not want to lose any pictures
  5. YOU DO NOT WANT THE PHOTOS FROM YOUR OLD iPHONE ON YOUR NEW iPHONE.

You can do all the things mentioned in points 1 through 4. Point 5 is an issue. iCloud for Photos acts as a synching service. It will synch all the photos across all your devices that are signed on with the same Apple ID. This is why you are seeing the photos from your old iPhone on your new iPhone.

You do not want the photos from your old iPhone to your new iPhone. Is this because you are trying to save space on your new iPhone and therefore only concerned about saving new photos? If YES, then I would like you to look into ➔ How to Optimize Space on your iPhone by using iCloud. If you like what you will read, then you can have all the pics on your new iPhone without worrying about space.

The other option is to ➔ Export all your current photos on iCloud to your computer or an external drive and save them there. After that is done, then delete all photos on iCloud before bringing on your new iPhone to iCloud. This will start iCloud for Photos as new and iCloud will begin syncing all your new photos taken with your new iPhone only.

Axel F.

Nov 24, 2021 8:34 PM in response to 100Asma

100Asma Said:

"Transfer to New iPhone: I bought a new iPhone and the photos from my old iPhone just came to the new one, how to remove them without losing them? and I want to use the same apple id and without turning off the iCloud I want my new photos to go to the iCloud as well thank you"

-------

Use of Quick Start:

Perform this through Quick Start: Use Quick Start to Transfer Data to a new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Transfer to New iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.