Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone issue during video calls on various apps when speaker mode is on

I am facing issue on various video calls apps eg facetime, messenger, viber, whatspp that voice is interrupted or muted on other end when speaker mode is on. Its new iphone 13 pro bought 3 weeks back running on ios 15.1.1 , the issue was there in previous ios version too. Problem is only during video calls and no issue during audio calls.

I tested hardware microphone using video, voice recording etc all seems ok. Not sure if its hw issue or ios issue? Has anyone experienced similar issue? What could be solution? Shall I exchange my phone assuming its hardware microphone issue or wait for next ios update assuming its ios bug? -Thanks.

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 11:29 PM

9 replies

Nov 25, 2021 1:45 AM in response to LD150

Below is chat snippet, so we need to wait for the next updates for now.

• I'm checking for some resources now. Do you notice that the sounds mutes when there is background noise going on at the same time?

-> no background noise, sound is muted randomly sometimes within 1 mins of video call, sometimes after few mins of call, but problem is always there, even after i restart phone, i didnt have any background noise while facing the issue

• Thank you for that information. the issue doesn't happen when using the headphones (both wired or wireless)?

-> that's correct

• Ok thank you So I would like to stay that apple is aware of this happening and working to resolve it. So for you what you would want to do is make sure that your device is up to date and look for updates to this in the future; Exchanging or repair would not resolve this at this time

Nov 25, 2021 1:00 AM in response to binod260

By the way in FaceTime there is only mute sound or mute camera, so which speaker mode do you mean?

Also apart from Facetime the other apps ate third party so if Apple say they are fixing something it has to be noisy microphone software. There are posts about "static" on the microphone maybe that is it.

Nov 25, 2021 1:09 AM in response to LD150

Speaker mode means I used phone speaker (not headphone) at home to talk during video call, no issue if I use wireless ear pods or wired headphone. I contacted apple support after posting thread here, When I was asked about noisy environment I communicated no noise in background when issue comes. So waiting for some ios updates, hope this will solve the issue.

Microphone issue during video calls on various apps when speaker mode is on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.