Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to let my MacBook's battery down before first full charge?

do i have to let it down before first battery

full charge?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 9:12 AM

No. Don't do that on currently-available MacBook Pro models.

Your MacBook Pro uses smart charging to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues.

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which will be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

————

Catalina software 10.15.5 and later for MacBook Pro with T2 chip (2016 models and later) includes a new feature called Battery Health Management. Based on your usage patterns, this widens the hysteresis to initiate a charge cycle at a lower level, and stop before 99 percent.

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094

This relaxes the set points around re-charging (based on your usage patterns) and can improve long term battery lifetimes. When active, recharging may stop short of 100 percent charged. Recharging may only begin at a lower level than the previous "normal" threshold of 92 percent or less.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2021 9:12 AM in response to barthelemy209

No. Don't do that on currently-available MacBook Pro models.

Your MacBook Pro uses smart charging to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues.

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which will be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

————

Catalina software 10.15.5 and later for MacBook Pro with T2 chip (2016 models and later) includes a new feature called Battery Health Management. Based on your usage patterns, this widens the hysteresis to initiate a charge cycle at a lower level, and stop before 99 percent.

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094

This relaxes the set points around re-charging (based on your usage patterns) and can improve long term battery lifetimes. When active, recharging may stop short of 100 percent charged. Recharging may only begin at a lower level than the previous "normal" threshold of 92 percent or less.

Do I have to let my MacBook's battery down before first full charge?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.