📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unresponsive or slow Photos app

The Photos app on my 6th Gen iPad seems to be unusually sluggish lately. It would take a minute or more after opening the app before I can do any selection, scrolling or editing. iCloud is not turned on, I don’t have WiFi sync going on, iPadOS is current. This anomaly is not random as it happens every time I open the app.

This behavior has been reported in the past couple of years and I’ve tried all the previous troubleshooting suggestions to no avail. The app is not completely broken but sluggishness is definitely not a trademark of IOS devices. Hope it’s not the dreaded ‘planned obsolescence’🤨

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 10:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 11:37 AM

Thanks for reaching out on Apple Support Communities, psoon.

It sounds like you're noticing some reduced performance when using the Photos app. We can help.

Does restarting your device improve the situation at all? You can follow these steps to Restart your iPad.

Low storage can also be a factor. If you still don't see any change after restarting, check to see how much available storage you have by tapping Settings > General > iPad Storage.

Keep us posted!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2021 11:37 AM in response to psoon

Thanks for reaching out on Apple Support Communities, psoon.

It sounds like you're noticing some reduced performance when using the Photos app. We can help.

Does restarting your device improve the situation at all? You can follow these steps to Restart your iPad.

Low storage can also be a factor. If you still don't see any change after restarting, check to see how much available storage you have by tapping Settings > General > iPad Storage.

Keep us posted!

Unresponsive or slow Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.