Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"AirTag Detected Near You" popup (do not own Airtags!)

Hello all,

My mom called me up worried about multiple warning messages popping up on her phone stating, "Air Detected Near You".

My mom doesn't own any AirTags and for someone not familiar with this new product, the messages are unnecessarily cryptic and frightening.

Placing myself in the position of a non-technical person, the messages are alarming and "Pause" being the only option to stop the alerts is NOT reassuring. "Instructions to Disable AirTag" are useless in this situation because it assumes that you have physical access to the AirTag.

I instructed my mom to hit "Pause Safety Alerts", but having never seen this before, I wanted to check with the community. Was my advice good enough?

Thank you

iPhone 12

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 6:03 PM

Thanks.

My general concern is that this AirTag system seems awfully intrusive for someone who doesn't own any AirTags or even cares to know about them. Another important point is that the AirTags only location report is that of the grocery store where my mom shopped two days ago. It's clearly not following her, so why did Apple continue to warn her about a chance encounter with this AirTag for the past two days?

Think of this from a non-technical 80 year's perspective; the messages are unnecessarily alarming.

Thanks again.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2021 6:03 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks.

My general concern is that this AirTag system seems awfully intrusive for someone who doesn't own any AirTags or even cares to know about them. Another important point is that the AirTags only location report is that of the grocery store where my mom shopped two days ago. It's clearly not following her, so why did Apple continue to warn her about a chance encounter with this AirTag for the past two days?

Think of this from a non-technical 80 year's perspective; the messages are unnecessarily alarming.

Thanks again.

Nov 25, 2021 6:27 PM in response to sdc01

I understand your concerns. The fact is that Apple has tried to make this as easy as possible to understand and how to help people maintain their privacy. It is also to prevent people from using the AirTag nefariously to track people without their knowledge. You can use that information from this support document, What to do if you find an AirTag or get an alert that an AirTag is with you - Apple Support to try and explain to your mother.

If you wish to let Apple know your feelings about this, you can use this feedback link, Product Feedback - Apple They will not personally respond, but they review all of the feedback.

Nov 25, 2021 2:00 PM in response to sdc01

You may wish to check again to see if they are coming up. If not, then you can check the car, but that is how it is supposed to work if there is an AirTag with her that is not hers. But if she is near one, like maybe at the grocery store, that would pop up. That may have been what it was, just long enough for it to show, since it appears from the map there was not a full route. If there are no more pop ups, then I would say that she was probably close enough to someone in the grocery store long enough for it to show it was near her.

"AirTag Detected Near You" popup (do not own Airtags!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.