Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OWC HD Icon

I cannot change the HD icon on my external drive. I do get info on the external HD & the OWC icon I want to change to. Clicked on the OWC icon in the upper L.H. corner of the get info window, hit command C, then clicked on the external HD icon, hit command command V, icon will not change? I have did this procedure in the past with no issues. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 6:54 AM

15 replies

Nov 26, 2021 8:38 AM in response to jefs

Do you have Read & Write permissions for the destination drive, are you logged in as an administrator.

Try the .icns Preview method again,

Source

Destination

Drag the image from the Source Preview panel to the small icon top left of the Destination

you should see a green add button as you hover over the Destination icon, do you see that.

Nov 26, 2021 10:27 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Destination drive says you can read only? I'm logged in, yes to my main unit, not the backup drive. I did boot from the backup drive, still no success with procedure. Tried .incs procedure again, select all, highlight backup drive icon, command V. Also dragged icon file to upper left hand corner of backup drive, still doesn't work. And yes, green light comes on when hovering over the destination icon. See source/destination screen shots below.

Source

Destination

Nov 26, 2021 12:35 PM in response to Eau Rouge

To be honest with you, I don't know. Icon in upper L.H. corner of destination disk has never changed to the source (.icns file) I ejected external drive & remounted, and the drive image was changed. Sometimes when mounting its correct, sometimes not. Could it have anything to do with Catalina 10.5.7 makes two volumes? See disk utility screen shots, the eject message I get when ejecting the external drive, and get info from external drive with the correct icon displayed.

Nov 26, 2021 11:37 AM in response to jefs

In your screenshot of the Source info panel you have not opened the Preview panel

as you can see in my screenshot of Source it is the image in the Preview panel that you

drag onto the top left icon of the Destination disk.

If the Destination SuperDuper Disk is set as Read only for admin have you tried changing it to Read & Write,

click on the padlock, enter your password and see if you can change Read only to Read & Write.

Nov 26, 2021 5:13 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad, I erased the drive, formatted GUID partition scheme, APFS formatting. Clicked get info on the erased backup drive, clicked get info on OWC icon, highlighted the OWC drive icon in the upper L.H. corner, edit copy, and then edit paste to the backup drive icon in the upper L.H. corner.... worked perfect.... issue resolved!!

Nov 28, 2021 9:51 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad, reason I'm using SuperDuper is to make a bootable backup of my system. I also use Time Machine and recently restored from a Time Machine backup of my 2019 16" MBP to my backup computer a 2015 15" MBP, both have macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and the restore worked perfect. 1st time using the restore option, not by choice, hardware issue with my 1.5 year old 2019 16" MPB. Anyway, thanks for the tip, I'll try Carbon Copy Cloner. I read briefly about the software, sounds like it will produce bootable external drives, although they are getting away from bootable backups from what I read, Big Sur 11.0 & later including the newer Macs with the new silicon chips. What about restoring back to my 2019 16" MBP from the 2015 15" MBP? Had to wipe the drive diagnosing the issue before sending the unit to Apple for repair.

OWC HD Icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.