Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

hard drive icon looks like time machine icon

I have Venture 13.4 on a MacStudio. I have an external USB disk that works properly for Time Machine. But one of my external disks (MacHD3 in a Thunderbolt enclosure) also has the Time Machine icon assigned to it. As a result, for example, DxO refuses to find any photos on this disk. The disk is NOT listed as a Time Machine target, and there are no Time Machine directpries on the disk (but there is lots of other stuff).

There was a hidden file .Time machine supported (or something similar) that I deleted. But the icon has not changed. How do I fix this?

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on May 22, 2023 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2023 9:14 PM

jrome wrote:

I have Venture 13.4 on a MacStudio. I have an external USB disk that works properly for Time Machine. But one of my external disks (MacHD3 in a Thunderbolt enclosure) also has the Time Machine icon assigned to it.

How do I fix this?

Open the Get info pane (Command i) hightlight the icon in the upper left, and try Commnad Z— if it does not return to a generic icon copy and paste your more preferred png or jpeg image.

the icon is not going to affect your files.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2023 9:14 PM in response to jrome

jrome wrote:

I have Venture 13.4 on a MacStudio. I have an external USB disk that works properly for Time Machine. But one of my external disks (MacHD3 in a Thunderbolt enclosure) also has the Time Machine icon assigned to it.

How do I fix this?

Open the Get info pane (Command i) hightlight the icon in the upper left, and try Commnad Z— if it does not return to a generic icon copy and paste your more preferred png or jpeg image.

the icon is not going to affect your files.

hard drive icon looks like time machine icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.