Can't change SSD's icon

I have an external SSD that has two partitions. One partitions contains a backup of the MacOS System (13.4.1) and is bootable. The other partition contains only files. I was able to change the icon on the "files" partition but cannot change the icon on the "system" partition. I have tried a different icon that was used elsewhere with no problems. So I don't think it can be the icon file itself. In the info window, the new icon shows in the Preview section but does not show up on the desk top icon.

I have an identical "setup" on an external HDD and both partitions have been changed successfully.

Paul

Mac mini

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 1:29 PM

The system is on a locked container that is read only. That's why you can't change the icon of that container/partition. It's all part of Apple's SIP, System Integrity Protection. I have a bootable external SSD and only the Data container mounts on the Desktop. The system portion never mounts.

Similar questions

10 replies

Aug 7, 2023 4:00 PM in response to Barney-15E

I made my clone with Carbon Copy Cloner and was able to change the icon on the one container that appears on the Desktop - which I assumed was the Data container as it holds all of my user data. However, in Disk Utility both show as mounted but only one shows just like the internal boot SSD:

Internal Boot Drive

Cloned External Boot Drive

This is what Disk Utility shows about the two:

The internal boot drive shows a snapshot as being mounted but it's not seen on the Desktop. Don't know why it shows up and doesn't affect performance or storage capacity in any manner. "Tis a puzzlement".

Aug 7, 2023 1:37 PM in response to justmyname009

By what process did you arrive at the “bootable backup?”

I’ve seen a few reports that they cannot rename a cloned start up volume. This may be the same issue where that clone drive is locked to changes like that.

Normally, you should be able to change the icon and rename the drive in the Finder. The custom icon is actually written to the data volume not the actual start up volume which has noted is mounted read only.

Aug 7, 2023 3:36 PM in response to justmyname009

Do you mean the startup Data volume, or your redundant data partition you made?

The OS is already divided into System and Data. The OS Data volume should not mount on the desktop and is where the custom icon is actually stored.

Interestingly, however, in the Startup Disk settings window as well as Disk Utility the custom icon does show.

It is probably some artifact of the cloning process. A normal startup volume will show the custom icon on the Desktop and everywhere else. Because of the clone, the system may not be able to link it to the Data volume.

Aug 8, 2023 1:30 PM in response to Old Toad

You can assign a custom icon to an unmounted system volume and that will stick with it regardless of being booted. If you add a custom icon to booted system volume, it goes into the associated Data Volume. That doesn’t link back the an unmounted System Volume. But, I have not tried on Ventura. Maybe Finder makes the association, now.

Aug 8, 2023 1:53 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for all the assistance. I've decided that I don't really need a bootable backup any longer–which will solve the custom icon issue. People smarter than me seem to think that it is very unlikely that a silicon Mac's internal SSD will fail and even if it does, I won't be able to use an external disk at all. I'm retired, have no need for other "systems", so a simple back up(s) will be all I need. I've spent too much time on this. However, I do appreciate the advice which has helped me make this decision.

Thanks much,

Paul

Can't change SSD's icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.