Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does the time machine icon appear on HDMcIntosh drive in a Mac

Ask to look at an elderly friend's Mac because of trouble with Time Machine. Much to my surprise he had two drives with Time Machine icon - an external, but also his main Mac drive??? I got the external reset and reinitiated as Time Machine, leaving the main drive alone. Now there is a difficulty with Time Machine over a "Untitled" (file?, drive?) on this main drive.

I suspect that he originally designated his main drive as his Time Machine. I hesitate to try to delete or change too much on his main drive in that it might be wiped out? I also, suspect, however that the Time Machine is actually continuing to back up his main drive in the main drive.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 12:17 PM

No, it shouldn't wipe anything... Sys Prefs>Time Machine>Select Disk... if the Internal is listed there, highlight that drive & click the Remove button.

These are drives used as to where to put the TM backup, not what drives will be backed up.

Similar questions

5 replies

How does the time machine icon appear on HDMcIntosh drive in a Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.