Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed Monterey, still getting Mojave login screen

Last night, I updated my Late 2018 MacBook Pro from Mojave to Monterey. For a while, I was stuck with a frozen progress bar. I tried fixing through Recovery Mode (Command + R) but after completing all the steps, I would get the "pinwheel of death" on the FileVault volume password screen.

After several attempts in Safe Mode, I can now access my files via Monterey.

However, whenever I reboot, I still get the frozen progress bar. When I reboot in Safe Mode, I eventually login to Monterey but first have to login through Mojave (see screen shots below). This clearly is not optimal.

I have everything from Mojave backed up. Not sure what to do next but I certainly am not in a good place. Thoughts?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 1:34 PM

Skipping 2-3 or more macOS versions on an upgrade is very bad idea. Apple doesn't test upgrades in that manner. Nor do the beta testers. It might work but depending on the Mac model you will likely run into a variety of problems such as the one you experienced. Upgrading any operating system is a major operation involving multitudes of inter-dependent complex changes. Skipping operating systems introduces unexpected problems.

I've witnessed upgrades that skip release versions break machines completely, especially on the T2 equipped Macs and your 2018 is definitely a T2 equipped Mac. I just had one of my customers attempt upgrading from Mojave to Big Sur skipping Catalina entirely and initially she was stuck with an Apple logo and progress bar but before she called me, she installed Big Sur via Recovery Mode and it completed the Big Sur installation but her data was inaccessible because it created a new local admin account and her original user account no longer existed. Fortunately, the 800GB's of data was intact in /Users/<username> and there was a Previous System copy of her Apps and system level data. I had to swap her work Mac then manually mount the encrypted volume of her broken Mac with a recovery key over Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode and rsync her data to the new Mac which took an entire day plus shipping time.

If you have a full backup from before you upgraded to Monterey, I would highly recommend reverting back to Mojave, restoring the data then upgrade to Catalina and apply any and all patches, upgrade to Big Sur and apply any and all patches and then upgrade to Monterey. Yes, it is time consuming. but you need to receive all the firmware updates to the T2 BridgeOS properly. If executed in sequence, all the data and configurations should be carried over from macOS to macOS version.

The problem is that T2 equipped Intel MacBook Pro's 2018+ are factory encrypted. When you enable FileVault all it really does is generate a recovery key and add a private key to the Secure Enclave. It doesn't need to encrypt the disk because the disk is always encrypted. The issues you ran into are because your T2 chip running BridgeOS ran into problems. You missed a few firmware updates during your leap from Mojave to Monterey.

Alternatively, you could ensure you have a backup of all of your data. Then you could boot to Recovery Mode, open Disk Utility, erase the internal Macintosh HD and then re-install Monterey from scratch. Then restore your data from backup.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 1:34 PM in response to Tradman529

Skipping 2-3 or more macOS versions on an upgrade is very bad idea. Apple doesn't test upgrades in that manner. Nor do the beta testers. It might work but depending on the Mac model you will likely run into a variety of problems such as the one you experienced. Upgrading any operating system is a major operation involving multitudes of inter-dependent complex changes. Skipping operating systems introduces unexpected problems.

I've witnessed upgrades that skip release versions break machines completely, especially on the T2 equipped Macs and your 2018 is definitely a T2 equipped Mac. I just had one of my customers attempt upgrading from Mojave to Big Sur skipping Catalina entirely and initially she was stuck with an Apple logo and progress bar but before she called me, she installed Big Sur via Recovery Mode and it completed the Big Sur installation but her data was inaccessible because it created a new local admin account and her original user account no longer existed. Fortunately, the 800GB's of data was intact in /Users/<username> and there was a Previous System copy of her Apps and system level data. I had to swap her work Mac then manually mount the encrypted volume of her broken Mac with a recovery key over Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode and rsync her data to the new Mac which took an entire day plus shipping time.

If you have a full backup from before you upgraded to Monterey, I would highly recommend reverting back to Mojave, restoring the data then upgrade to Catalina and apply any and all patches, upgrade to Big Sur and apply any and all patches and then upgrade to Monterey. Yes, it is time consuming. but you need to receive all the firmware updates to the T2 BridgeOS properly. If executed in sequence, all the data and configurations should be carried over from macOS to macOS version.

The problem is that T2 equipped Intel MacBook Pro's 2018+ are factory encrypted. When you enable FileVault all it really does is generate a recovery key and add a private key to the Secure Enclave. It doesn't need to encrypt the disk because the disk is always encrypted. The issues you ran into are because your T2 chip running BridgeOS ran into problems. You missed a few firmware updates during your leap from Mojave to Monterey.

Alternatively, you could ensure you have a backup of all of your data. Then you could boot to Recovery Mode, open Disk Utility, erase the internal Macintosh HD and then re-install Monterey from scratch. Then restore your data from backup.

Nov 26, 2021 3:21 PM in response to James Brickley

Thanks, James Brickley. I appreciate the time you took to reply. My intention was not to delay updating but to keep from having to purchase subscription-based software that won't work on newer MacOS. I finally hit a breaking point of having the worst of both worlds - having to bite the bullet on both updating the OS AND purchasing Adobe CC.

How do I rollback safely to Mojave using a CCC backup instead of Time Machine?

Thanks, again.

Nov 26, 2021 3:54 PM in response to Tradman529

As for alternatives to Adobe Creative Cloud (depending on your specific needs and workflow) Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher could replace Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign for most people. They have a 30% off Black Friday sale at the moment. No subscription, just purchase new version when they hit a major release with free updates in between. Even full price their Apps are far less expensive than Adobe. It would be a bit of a learning curve as there are differences. There's Luminar by Skylum.com to replace Adobe Lightroom. For video editing, either Final Cut Pro or DaVinci Resolve instead of Adobe Premiere.

Nov 27, 2021 7:13 PM in response to James Brickley

Postscript: Updating to Monterey directly from Mojave caused quite the mess on my HD. I ended up erasing the HD and used CCC to successfully rollback to Mojave. I am now attempting to install Catalina from the link you provided. While it’s not an incremental install, I’m fairly confident it will work. After that, I will do the same with Big Sur.

That said, I think I will hold off on installing Monterey for a while. I don’t need that kind of drama in my life :)

Thanks, again, for your support. I will check out the Adobe alternatives.

Installed Monterey, still getting Mojave login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.