Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage - Displays the sender's name when screen is locked - #Integrity

Can someone please tell me how to hide the sender's name / initials if I have a missed call or received messages via iMessage. My settings look like the attached pictures.

But no matter what I tried, the sender's name appears on the locked screen for iMessage. I do not want my phone lying around where you can see who is sending me messages. And I do not want to shutdown all notifications.

On Android, this was an obvious setting for all applications. When the screen was locked, it only showed that you have received a missed call or received messages. On iPhone, this works with WhatsApp for messages but not a call from WhatsApp which can be seen in the pictures below.

This seems to be a missing function on Apple devices. From an integrity point view it is weird that Apple do not support this.

• Can Apple or the Community please answer how to resolve this. From an integrity-minded individual to a company who profiles themselves as integrity-minded.

I've seen some similar questions being asked in the community. However the response or answer that has been given has nothing to do with the question or the problem at hands

I'm currently using a iPhone 13 mini w/ iOS 15.1.1

See attached pictures for results on locked screen and settings set on the device.

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 12:30 PM

Joakim H wrote:

But isn’t it strange that with WhatsApp you can hide the name of the sender in the notifications in lockdown screen but not for iMessage - A product from Apple?

You have a good point. Here is how to let Apple know→https://apple.com/feedback.

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 27, 2021 12:18 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I see I forgot about the time difference and for that I’m sorry.

I do understand that disabling all notifications is the only way to get rid of this issue with iMessage in terms of showing the name of the sender. As blocking the preview of contents is possible.

But isn’t it strange that with WhatsApp you can hide the name of the sender in the notifications in lockdown screen but not for iMessage - A product from Apple?

Nov 27, 2021 1:01 PM in response to Joakim H

Joakim H wrote:

Thanks. Used the link and submitted my request. Let’s see if it is a black hole or not.

Well, it’s not a black hole, but it is a democracy, so it requires a certain threshold of similar requests before they take notice. But a recent example is the “magnifying glass” text editing tool that was removed in iOS 14 in favor of just holding and moving the cursor, which got a lot of pushback in the forum. It was added back in iOS 15, better than before; it provides for holding and moving the cursor while viewing it in a magnifying-glass like bubble.

iMessage - Displays the sender's name when screen is locked - #Integrity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.