Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery condition

Hi, recently, like 3 months ago i bought iphone 11 pro 256gb from a friend of mine. Basically it was his father’s iphone.

Shocking information was that the battery in this device has 100% condition. He used this phone for like half of a year, and im using it for like 3 months as i said earlier. And my question is, how in the earth i still do have 100% battery condition? I mean battery works alright, this device is great, but i cannot understand why is it not decreasing?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 7:40 AM

Battery Health is an estimation based on an algorithm. The thing is, that it is based on the capacity of the battery from the reported capacity. An article I was reading in a trade magazine says that the capacity is coded into the software, but the actual capacity of the battery could be higher than the reported capacity when it is manufactured. With that in mind, even after it has been used for a period of time and should show a decrease in health, while it has decreased, it still shows the 100% because the initial capacity was actually higher than the number used to calculate the percentage so mathematically it is still over 100%. It cannot report over 100%, so there is really no way of knowing what the actual capacity was when new.

I wouldn't worry about the battery unless you begin to have issues with holding a charge, and then you can get Apple to do a remote diagnostic on the battery to see what the capacity is. If you are really concerned and have an Apple Store close by, make a Genius Bar appointment and discuss this with them and they can also run a diagnostic there.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2021 7:40 AM in response to hubert296

Battery Health is an estimation based on an algorithm. The thing is, that it is based on the capacity of the battery from the reported capacity. An article I was reading in a trade magazine says that the capacity is coded into the software, but the actual capacity of the battery could be higher than the reported capacity when it is manufactured. With that in mind, even after it has been used for a period of time and should show a decrease in health, while it has decreased, it still shows the 100% because the initial capacity was actually higher than the number used to calculate the percentage so mathematically it is still over 100%. It cannot report over 100%, so there is really no way of knowing what the actual capacity was when new.

I wouldn't worry about the battery unless you begin to have issues with holding a charge, and then you can get Apple to do a remote diagnostic on the battery to see what the capacity is. If you are really concerned and have an Apple Store close by, make a Genius Bar appointment and discuss this with them and they can also run a diagnostic there.

Nov 27, 2021 7:46 AM in response to hubert296

That’s a great answer from Chris. The other thing to keep in mind that a battery is a chemical device, and chemistry is generally pretty variable and uncertain, as well as being analog, not digital. Apple sets the battery capacity to remain above 80% for 500 full charge cycles, but that is a minimum requirement; there is no published maximum expected capacity.

Battery condition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.