Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incorrect image orientation when posting images from iPhone to various forums

Sometimes when I upload an image shot on my iPhone to online forums, the image comes up with the incorrect orientation: an image shot in portrait, taller than wide, shows up rotated 90° to landscape, wider than tall.

I found a post in one of my forums where I'm complaining about the same thing from a phone and several iOS Versions ago. But today I am looking at an image that I shot in portrait orientation on my iPhone, that my iPhone recognizes and displays in portrait orientation, but that is showing up in landscape mode when I preview the post on the phone.

Little more play shows that it is happening with Firefox for iOS and Safari, so not a Firefox or Safari issue, but rather something that creeps in when I attempt to save bandwith by uploading a smaller size of the image. So whether I use Safari, or Firefox, if I select a smaller version of the image--not a crop, but instead of selecting the actual size, I select one of the other options, so a resizing--the problem occurs. So the issue is with how photos in iOS deals with resizing images.

Such a strange error. Any idea what may be going on here?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 12:07 PM

2 replies

Nov 27, 2021 12:36 PM in response to Donot Haveone

While this isn't an answer in itself, it may be helpful to know there are two ways in which a camera can apply rotation to images it records when it detects it's being held in portrait:

• Swap the width and height, and move all the pixels.
  • Leave the image the "wrong" way up but add metadata noting it should be rotated when displayed.

The iPhone does the latter, which is fine most of the time because other apps and websites know to look for the orientation metadata when reproducing the image. But sometimes:

• The metadata gets removed along the way when exporting, uploading etc. the image.
  • The app or website displaying the image wasn't designed to understand the metadata.

Incorrect image orientation when posting images from iPhone to various forums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.